stern rail necassary?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapie408

Reaction score
I'm not a very tall guy and feel that the gunnel is a little low. I see some parker with doing it. I don't like the hook but I think it can be useful for mounting rod holders and a safety item but then again I don't like the look. LOL Thoughts?
Found this photo while browsing
00404_8q8WqeL5MWgz_07K0ak_1200x900.jpg

Cumbersome for fishing. I find the “Great Lakes” and salmon trollers like this modification for some reason.
It's a common modification for the West Coast, Alaska, and Great Lakes. I've never seen one with a rail on the East Coast.

Maybe some of those guys can chime in as to it's purpose. I've never felt I needed a rail to keep from falling out of my cockpit!

I believe Coast Guard requires minimum height gunnels on new charters and rail fullfils requirement

My dad installed smaller ones on the washboard only of our old Mako 23 which had very low gunnels. Main reason was to keep his little first mate (me) safe.

I think they would get in the way In saltwater mainly because you are dealing with larger fish. Here in Lake Erie we’re netting most everything. No gaffing, tagging, etc.

No way would I add one to a parker and it would be the first thing I would remove if I bought one with it on. We have had three parkers from a 1989 23 walk around, 1990 sport cabin and a 2005 2520xl. Raised three kids from babies on them and never an issue. I really don't think it adds much safety since most likely at some point somebody is going to trip on it getting on and off the boat and wind up hurting themselves.

I troll Ontario an my buddy complaints that 2120 Parker gunnels are too low. I am 6’2 and do not have that issue. He practically refused to fish out of 1801.

I think I might do it anyway. I fish with my 2 little kids and one of my fishing partner has a bad leg. Adding it will be a safety thing I feel. I personally wouldn't want/need it.

I think I might do it anyway. I fish with my 2 little kids and one of my fishing partner has a bad leg. Adding it will be a safety thing I feel. I personally wouldn't want/need it.
Going back to one of our previous conversations... do you have the boat in hand yet? I know you were waiting on delivery a bit earlier.

Definitely wait until you get to walk around in the cockpit a bit before deciding to do something like adding a rail. It's a big jump up to the 2530 that I'm used to, but I don't even see how it'd be possible for a kid to fall out of that cockpit. It has the potential to really mess up your access to rod holders, ability to reach to the waterline over the gunnel, a whole bunch of things.

Maybe it's just my experience, but I've fished with young kids, old family friends, people with injuries... I can confidently say that having someone fall out of my cockpit has NEVER been a concern.

yes I took the boat out a few days ago. I'm so used to my old boat having very high gunnel. Maybe it just takes some adjustment? I have yet to take the kids on it. Will probably do so if the weather permits this weekend. As I mentioned, i find no issues with it at all. Perhaps it the notched transom that makes everything feel so open to the outside.

My son in particular can loose track of things, he treats the boat like a playground. My daughter is younger and is very careful.

I am 6'5" and I have never felt the gunnels were too low. I did get dumped out sitting on the gunnel one day with the boat anchored. It was a rocky day anyway but a large wave hit us broadside coming from behind me. I did not see it coming and when it rocked back down I went out backwards. Probably would not have happened but I had a dive tank on at the time.

My youngest grandson is 3 masquerading in a 5 year old body and I have never felt he is in danger of falling overboard. He may climb out but not fall out. I think it would be more useful for an older person with balance issues than for younger kids.

I am 6'5" and I have never felt the gunnels were too low. I did get dumped out sitting on the gunnel one day with the boat anchored. It was a rocky day anyway but a large wave hit us broadside coming from behind me. I did not see it coming and when it rocked back down I went out backwards. Probably would not have happened but I had a dive tank on at the time.

My youngest grandson is 3 masquerading in a 5 year old body and I have never felt he is in danger of falling overboard. He may climb out but not fall out. I think it would be more useful for an older person with balance issues than for younger kids.
You brought up another point that I mentioned previous, one of my fishing partner who also happens to had a stroke many years ago and lost feeling on one leg. I've been fishing on his boat for a few years while other boat was in storage. part of this is to do it for him.

Back