Storing from Davits

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aircoastie

Reaction score
I know this question was just posted, but was wondering what you guys thought about long term storage from the davit lifts on a 2320? Just bought a house on the river in Ft. Lauderdale and looking for economical methods of getting the boat out of the water at my dock.

Id rather see you try one of those floating waverunner things than holding the boat up with davits unless you can swing it up to the backyard and set it on bunks. How much are you getting quoted for a lift?

Here is m2cw and we are using our davit lifts b/c they were rebuilt after Hurricane Charley and new elevator lifts are expensive esp when you add the extras. Our Renken survived the hurricane just hanging on the lifts except the bow had a lifting eye on deck connected below

We use the tow eye with a hose covered wire lifting collar (sling) and a 6' spreader bar with 2 drops in the rear. I dont like the front setup because the collar presses against the pulpit during lifting. I just bought an open ended 1/2" adjustable turnbuckle and will install it above the pulpit to keep the cables off it and add some foam from a cutup boogie board as a cushion. The tow eye must be very stout and robust just like the rest of boat!

I am using boat dollies without the wheels and converted them to stands but are too high. I need to decrease the vertical posts height and make shorter drops for the stern. No solution for the front to date to increase the lifting height except cutting the vertical stand posts. The stands are heavy and awkard to position when apart
see yardarm.com or search my past postings for pics using davit
Other stands can be built locally

Good luck

No quotes on price yet for anything as I have not even moved down from Mobile yet. I bought the house last month and have been doing some research. Lifts are looking pretty expensive and since the water is almost fresh at my dock, I may just go with good bottom paint. I had not even thought about using the Davits until I read the post here. I do not think swinging it onto the seawall is an option as I have a long dock to get over. The floating platforms looked like a good idea, but they are also quite expensive... If any of you know some good dock guys down there, I will be looking for quotes, who knows with this economy what some might be willing to sell a lift for...

Yrs ago, the home have a concrete ramp (part of it still remains but covered with soil) but was removed when seawalls, dock, dock side patio and boat pad were installed. Several homes still have workable ramps and keep their boat on a trailer and use an electric winch for retreiving.
I looked at a floatable dock setup near Englewood and was very impressed with installation and ease of use but the area does not have alot of tidal change and unsure how a hurricane or a storm surge would effect it plus just looking.
I saw one setup using a cantilevered frame with hydralic pumps near a dock. I dont know the price but was very interesting setup esp when empty and cant see it

I would really try to afford a lift. Bottom paint isnt a bad option but depending on where you are with boat traffic or if its not boat traffic then you are going to be so far back in a canal the waters just nasty. Anyways, Someone on here (I think) showed how to install a lift they did it themselves. The other issue that I am thinking of is theft either taking parts of the boat or the whole thing. Sitting in the water is alot easier than on a lift. Not that a lift isnt possible to get a boat off of.

Back