Surge Brake help.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeMarkCA

Reaction score
I need some advice. I'm missing something.

I replaced my Atwood actuator and now it seems I can no longer move the boat with my tugger.

This is the right towing position for the puller, but it appears in this position the brakes are acuated.

tugger3_zps2ludjjls.jpg

This close-up shows that the bolt is supposed to be all the way down, correct?
tugger2_zpsujbakbwg.jpg

But when I try to pull, the brakes lock up the trailer and the puller walks out.
tugger4_zpsffedrevq.jpg

When I disconnect the puller from the trailer, two guys can push the boat enough to tell the shoes are not locked up when the puller is disconnected.

Is there an adjustment for this problem, is it possible the breakaway has been tripped, how can I check for that?

There is a nut in the rear of the actuator that connects to the hydraulic ram, is this an adjustment bolt for this problem?

I've never seen one like that.... Either you had to put a pin in the system to keep from compressing the MC plunger when going in reverse, or there was a electric lock out solinode that blocked the fluid and was activated by power from the reverse back up lights.

Your problem seem to happen in going forward. Why was this unit replaced in the first place?

warthog5":snc45zhs said:
I've never seen one like that.... Either you had to put a pin in the system to keep from compressing the MC plunger when going in reverse, or there was a electric lock out solinode that blocked the fluid and was activated by power from the reverse back up lights.

Your problem seem to happen in going forward. Why was this unit replaced in the first place?

Rusted, I purchased the same make and model for ease, the brake line matched up perfectly. Atwood is a good brand, and the old actuator allowed me to move the boat, and was also applying the brakes just fine, but because it was rust I replaced it.
I don't think it is the unit, I think I am missing something.

That upper lever is what you use to disable when backing up an incline. That lower bold I'm pretty sure is showing that the brakes are actuated when in the tow position.

Did you test the reverse lockout function after installing the new actuator using something other than the tugger? Are you sure it is working correctly?

My immediate suggestion is that the reverse braking lockout is not working as it should. Is there a way to use a pin or bolt to block the compression of the actuator as a test?

Unfortunately, I have never used a brake actuator like yours so I cannot offer any more specific suggestions.

Back