Suzuki DF150A Parker 1801

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longislandfish

Reaction score
Anyone running a DF 150A BG Zuki with flyby wiring ? I was interested in the 140, but it’s not enough motor given the displacement is the same as the 115. I’d like a better cruise and more torque for when boat loaded down.

The question is, the 150 is 529lbs, might as well buy the 200 since it’s the same block and weight.

115hp on the hull is ok, but I have more weight now and like some better cruise and top end speeds. Considering the 150 or 200.

I think the 140B is 410lb

Your 115 is 377lbs, The capacity rating is set at 150hp (427lbs at the time) for a reason. The 200hp rated 1801 has a custom soleplate, overglassed transom, modified splashwell and relocated deck drains. I wonder if the console is moved forward a bit. You talking adding 152lbs on the transom for the extra hp. Without reinforcement it's a bad idea.
These hulls just aren't built for speed. Mine is about as light as it can be and 40 is top mph, adding another 35-40 hp will likely only see small gains maybe 3-5mph. That isn't much to gain for the added expense in my opinion.
Go fishing!

Thats a interesting drawing TomC.

I see the 8X8 block....and the way it is cut, But I see no height on it. It appears to be a Bandaid fix... IE: Raises the deck drains....But will not fully drain the deck.

It's my opinion that a DF140BG would be the optimum engine for this boat with 100lb savings over a 150.

I want that engine for my 2072 SeaArk. Maybe one day. :(

Thumbs up on the DF140BG for a repower. I read its a wee bit shy on HP tho:cautious:
I'd have to look at some other files but I think that the drawing intends to show that 8x8 block recessed (dashed lines). That would suck if it was raised. I like a well drained deck (no pun intended).

Last edited:
I think for re-powering an 1800/1801, the DF140BG is the way to go. Going on my 3rd season and I've been very satisfied with it. The slight weight increase is un-noticeable. For this boat, its more than enough power. Tops out at 40mph, super quiet and is great on gas. What's not to like. 😁

Here's how the drains looked in the back of a Wildlife Resources 1801 (2005 model). I normally kept 4 steel tanks under the leaning post plus quite a few miscellaneous other items in the rear. The deck fully drained regardless of where people stood or placed gear. The 200 EFI with a 17" four blade PowerTech prop would realistically push that boat 45-46 mph in the right conditions. Those conditions rarely exist. I also had a 19" three blade with added cup. That prop was really not much faster. The hull just seemed like it hit its maximum reasonable performance in low to mid 40's. A few extra mph for the added cost and weight of a larger motor probably isn't worth it.

Attachments

• 20230621_200008_resized.jpg
    20230621_200008_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Here's how the drains looked in the back of a Wildlife Resources 1801 (2005 model). I The hull just seemed like it hit its maximum reasonable performance in low to mid 40's. A few extra mph for the added cost and weight of a larger motor probably isn't worth it.
Those drains don't look any different from mine. Is that transom thicker than the non-wildlife boats?
I agree that the few extra mph is hardly worth the extra cost. This hull just doesn't like it past 40 mph.

The transom is about 3" thick.

Attachments

• 20210704_113607_resized.jpg
    20210704_113607_resized.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 2
Just an FYI … I have been running a 90 Suzuki for 5 years on my 1800. Fuel economical and fast enough. I run about 5200 rpm @ 25 MPH WOT 30 MPH. With myself and adult son.

Attachments

• 0DFF2423-3E5B-4EB9-988E-B1B1E8CA3729.jpeg
    0DFF2423-3E5B-4EB9-988E-B1B1E8CA3729.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Weighing in here as I repowered my 1801 from a 2-stroke 150 HP Yamaha to a 4 stroke 150HP Yamaha. The 2 stroke def had a faster time to plane, but sucked down fuel. I believe I was getting around ~1-1.5 MPG on a good day. Now the 4 stroke 150 I am getting 3.5 MPG in the same conditions & cruise typically around 27-30 MPH around 4200-4500 RPMs (don't hold me to that, it is just coming from memory) with a WOT of 43-44 MPH around 5200 ish RPMs. I run the Yamaha 17 pitch prop to get the best of all worlds (economy & speed when I need it). Regarding the extra weight in the back, if there are 2 men weighing 200-250lbs standing with their legs touching the motor water will come into the scuppers. Besides satisfying my curiosity if that would happen, there has never been another time that has happened. When we fish, we are spread out, so it is not really a bother for me.

one last thing, if you trailer you will notice during launch there will be a lot more water in the stern, but once the boat is in, all of that water runs out fairly quickly. If you bilge hatch does not have a good gasket, you are likely to get water in your bilge. Figured I'd add that as it is something I learned. Again, nothing to be concerned with, but just an observation.

Last edited:
Weighing in here as I repowered my 1801 from a 2-stroke 150 HP Yamaha to a 4 stroke 150HP Yamaha. The 2 stroke def had a faster time to plane, but sucked down fuel. I believe I was getting around ~1-1.5 MPG on a good day. Now the 4 stroke 150 I am getting 3.5 MPG in the same conditions & cruise typically around 27-30 MPH around 4200-4500 RPMs (don't hold me to that, it is just coming from memory) with a WOT of 43-44 MPH around 5200 ish RPMs. I run the Yamaha 17 pitch prop to get the best of all worlds (economy & speed when I need it). Regarding the extra weight in the back, if there are 2 men weighing 200-250lbs standing with their legs touching the motor water will come into the scuppers. Besides satisfying my curiosity if that would happen, there has never been another time that has happened. When we fish, we are spread out, so it is not really a bother for me.

one last thing, if you trailer you will notice during launch there will be a lot more water in the stern, but once the boat is in, all of that water runs out fairly quickly. If you bilge hatch does not have a good gasket, you are likely to get water in your bilge. Figured I'd add that as it is something I learned. Again, nothing to be concerned with, but just an observation.

When it comes to it, if my motor ever blows up or reaches the point where the parts aren’t worth the effort I will most likely repower my hull with a 140-150hp. I prefer the 150hp as it’s a bigger block and more torque were I need it. I have set my boat up to be able to run offshore nearshore on the right days but most of the time I’m fishing in sounds and bays. The added weight from the dog house adds more weight in the center of the boat but no so much that the boat has any ill effects. But no one ever wished they had less power.

Current situation prohibits the boat that I want to travel offshore to the tuna grounds or more capable boat when things get nasty. I love the Parker 1801, served me well for many years. In a lot of ways it’s the perfect boat for 1-2 people. Every time I get the thought of selling to upgrade I chicken out knowing there will be a lot of regret from letting it go. There’s no perfect boat but the Linwood built Parker’s have a special place in my heart.

Attachments

• IMG_6744.jpeg
    IMG_6744.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6745.jpeg
    IMG_6745.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
When it comes to it, if my motor ever blows up or reaches the point where the parts aren’t worth the effort I will most likely repower my hull with a 140-150hp. I prefer the 150hp as it’s a bigger block and more torque were I need it. I have set my boat up to be able to run offshore nearshore on the right days but most of the time I’m fishing in sounds and bays. The added weight from the dog house adds more weight in the center of the boat but no so much that the boat has any ill effects. But no one ever wished they had less power.

Current situation prohibits the boat that I want to travel offshore to the tuna grounds or more capable boat when things get nasty. I love the Parker 1801, served me well for many years. In a lot of ways it’s the perfect boat for 1-2 people. Every time I get the thought of selling to upgrade I chicken out knowing there will be a lot of regret from letting it go. There’s no perfect boat but the Linwood built Parker’s have a special place in my heart.
How far out have you been taking it? Seems like the tuna have been coming in close to LI in the past few years.

Cool. Been thinking about venturing a little further with mine also. Bring any different safety equipment with you?
Inreach, epirb, 4-8ft dcs vhf icom, life raft debatable but probably a good idea. Buddy boats, radar, and a few good weather apps are what you would want. People do it all the time. Just gotta know when to head in and when it’s too rough. Most of the time getting out of the inlet is probably the worst part. This is where hp is helpful

Been out 20-25 miles with my 1800. I have 2 VHFs, 1 portable, EPIRB, 4 man life raft, offshore life vests, I do intel on weather apps ,fishing intel ,99 percent of the time you will have guys out there that are in distance if you are in distress. Just know and I am sure everyone knows weather in NJ during the summer changes quickly when out off at the mid shore grounds. I always feel safe in my 1800 and yes it’s an original Parker. Retiring from FD March 1 and am doing homework on a small 23-25 custom boat. However, not selling my Parker. If anyone wants to buddy up this summer drop me a message always welcome new friends, safety in numbers. I am out of Atlantic Highlands.

Been out 20-25 miles with my 1800. I have 2 VHFs, 1 portable, EPIRB, 4 man life raft, offshore life vests, I do intel on weather apps ,fishing intel ,99 percent of the time you will have guys out there that are in distance if you are in distress. Just know and I am sure everyone knows weather in NJ during the summer changes quickly when out off at the mid shore grounds. I always feel safe in my 1800 and yes it’s an original Parker. Retiring from FD March 1 and am doing homework on a small 23-25 custom boat. However, not selling my Parker. If anyone wants to buddy up this summer drop me a message always welcome new friends, safety in numbers. I am out of Atlantic Highlands.
That sounds about right! Enjoy retirement and I hope you get the boat you deserve. I hope I get there one day too

Back