Swivel Rod Holder Bow Fighting Platform Suggestions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishPimp

Reaction score
Lads,
after having lost an 80+" giant blue fin last week I have decided to add a swivel rod holder at the bow of my boat to fight the bigger fish and am starting the planning process. I would rather get towed forward rather than backward. What do you recommend to stabilize that area of the bow? The amount of tourque to the holder and area up ther even with a backing plate might rip apart the glass and I dont want that to happen.
Do you think I should make a template of some sort and glass in some marine ply? And then do a beefed up backing plate?
Fighting a fish from the transom is still possible with some of the smaller fish around cape cod.
The other option is to put a stand up battle station up in the bow. But that would be a last resort as I like keeping the bow's dance floor as open as possible.
thanks,
Chris

Not sure how your bow is configured, here’s mine made out of 2” thick teak stacked and epoxied together. It needs to be that high to allow the 130 bent butt to clear the bow rail. It is secured to the deck with 5200 and 2 lag bolts. It is strong as an ox and I pity the fool who has to remove it...

It works well enough and have caught giants up to 750lb on it. Only, fighting from the bow lets the fish lead and control you. I rather control the fish so my preference now is to fight in the cockpit. There is a steep learning curve to fighting giants and there are not many opportunities to learn from your mistakes. So it takes a few lost fishies to get your system down. Are you fishing recreational or commercial?

Attachments

• bowftg.JPG
    bowftg.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 494
  • sleighride.jpg
    sleighride.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 494
Wouldn't the bow center section be like almost 2" thick to take a windlass? Chris, if that doesn't support a swivel rod holder ... added support would. Tell you what, drop the boat off in my unofficial boatyard the next time you're here. When you come back ... it'll be all done for you :D !

If you need it, I have 1/4" thick electropolished 4"x5" and larger 316L stainless steel if needed for backing plates. It is a BITCH to machine (needs coolant and cobalt tooling), but I do have machine shop access if needed ...

Hey Phil,
my bow is probably the same as yours . I would want my swivel rod holders to be aft of the anchor hatch hence the need to beef up that area. I am not a comm tuna guy. Too many rules and regs for me. And if I was I think I would go out of business out here in California. After loosing that fish a whole new world opened up to me with regard to fighting the class of fish that have arrived in New England this year. And when I hook the next monster I need to be prepared as I dont want to loose it. Yes there was a ton learned from that fish. The biggest mistake was to try and fight it stand up for two+ hours with out taking many chances.
Dale I may take you up on the offer. Not sure which aspect of your offer. I am heading back east thursday night and will snap some pics friday to post up.
I am definitely going to do what Uncle Matt did and add more rod holders up front. Probably 5 in total. Three up front one being a swivel and two aft of the bow. I cant do clutter on my boat and that is what happens once a fish is hooked and the fight is on.
Thanks for the help on this.

C

Back