Tab installation?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawgs

Reaction score
I'm installing Bennet bolt tabs on my 2520. When drilling the mounting holes for the tabs should I use an oversized bit and fill with epoxy then re drill with the proper size? Or am I ok just drilling a pilot hole and screwing them on?

I've heard of guys drilling out larger and filling then re-drilling. I'm in the process of adding larger tabs to mine. I'm filling the old tab holes with resin and Cabosil mixture then drilling new holes for the new tabs. They will not be in the same place as the old holes. I plan on mounting the new tab screws using 3M 5200. So I will just drill a pilot hole then fill it with 5200 and then coat the screw also with 5200 and probably put a blob of it around the hole then screw the tab on. I will make sure the screw and hole are water tight. I hope this helps and is the information that your are looking for?

On the typical install, the area where the tab screws go is all solid glass frp layup. I put mine in w/ 3M 5200. Make SURE to use a tap drill of the BODY size of the screw, as if too small a hole you will shear off the screw when trying to tighten them.

shawnee83":1b0968n6 said:
I had 3 shear off removing the old ones. They seem like they had corroded though?
No doubt, as stainless steel is HIGHLY subject to crevice corrosion. SS only stays 'corrosion free' when their is a blanket of air/atmosphere surrounding the steel. It is the pasivsted layer that forms the protective blanket, if you think of it that way.

But when a fastener is captured in a closed hole, there is no blanket of air around it. Here's a link to a post I once made, including sample photos, for all you will ever need to know about various corrosion types, so you can be prepared and best protect your investment.

See: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10388&hilit=Crevice+corrosion

so dale,

whats the best way to protect these screws when installing the tabs?

I just put Bennett trim tabs on my boat. I set the backing plate in 4200 then I drilled a slightly smaller hole then dipped the screws threads in 5200. Then sealed screw head with 4200. we'll see how it holds up

Back