Testing GPS on combo unit out of water

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsw

Reaction score
I've got a Lowrance GPS/Fishfinder (LMS-335), and need to test that the GPS is working OK. Anyone know if I can run the unit without frying something in the sonar with the boat on the trailer?

GPS worked fine all last season then on the last day moving the boat for haul out, GPS wouldn't acquire signal at the dock or it would get a signal and then lose it a few seconds later while underway. I checked cable connections as best I could at the time, but the GPS was still unreliable. I've since cleaned up the pins and connections (no obvious corrosion or oxidation), and am ready to re-test but don't want to zap my sonar in the process. Any thoughts on how to test?

JS

We have a Lowrance LCX-18c.

First the DS went out so we sent it back for repairs. They said the unit was OK and included a new 'ducer -- which fixed the problem (they charged us $200 for the 'repair'). A short time later the GPS went out. They said they'd bench test the GPS for $50 but we decided to have it fixed; they kept the old one and sent us a new unit for $107.94 (includes shipping).

The purpose of the above is 2 fold.

1) to give you an idea what it's like to own a Lowrance unit

2) to let you know that during our trials to get the GPS to work, we did not trash the sonar while messing with the system on the trailer.

Thanks. I sent an email to the Lowrance techie email address, and maybe they'll respond also. You never know, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm actually OK with my Lowrance. The sonar transducer went flakey on me second season I used it (2005), but I had a second spare transducer so I was able to test my electronics with it when I needed it, and it was a simple fix in the off season. Other than that and now the 1 day I was getting a "GPS module not responding" error message, it has accurately done its job.

John

If anyone is interested, here's the reply I received from the Lowrance folks:

Thank you for your inquiry.

The LMS-335C can be powered with your boat out of the water. However, we do recommend disconnecting the transducer from the back of the unit, or (while on the sonar page) press your menu key and select stop chart. Press enter and this will place an "X" in the box. The unit will no longer transmit to the transducer. When you put the boat back in the water, go through the same steps to remove the "X".

Please feel free to contact us if we may be of further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Lowrance Electronics.

Back