Those of you with 23' boats... Do you own trailer or store?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnfbushjr":1ewkvswe said:
I inherited a Loadmaster (built in Port Clinton, OH) for my 2000 Parker 2300 CC and have had only one issue with the surge drum brakes locking up during storage all summer. My fault, I backed it in to position and neglected to jerk it forward to release the brakes before uncoupling. I'd recommend buying the trailer you'll be money ahead in a matter of years.

Also, I've towed it short distances (< 10 miles) with my 2002 GMC Envoy with an L6 engine and had no issues. It also has a tow capacity of 5,200 pounds max, and my rig weighed in at 6,600 pounds when I had it scaled. You definitely know its there and you MUST be careful of stopping distance requirements. Its no problem accelerating, its safely stopping that much weight is what the vehicle was not designed to do. When making a longer trip I borrowed my brother in laws Chevy Suburban and it was like night and day ... felt like I was towing a little jet ski behind me.

Good luck you'll the 23 footer ...
Thanks man! Sounds like the last step before we pull the trigger or order is securing a slip or mooring for this season.

If no luck, either we will do a mid Winter deal for even less on this boat or order for Spring.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

warthog5":xx55lkvd said:
BUT —- if and when and it will happen- it clogs. Then no grease come out and bearings freeze up.

Ya know , your the 2nd person I've heard that from. The 1st was from a guy that worked for a trailer manufacture.

"Ez Loader" EZ Loader STILL puts Bearing Buddies On. :(

I think this could happen.....BUT Only when the owner neglects their trailer. Neglecting the trailer would include not Flushing the spindles.
Both the trailers I converted....IE: changed the axles were EZ Loader trailers....They were both bought Used.

Never Ever would I buy one New.

The same can be said for the zerk fittings on your outboard.

We All know....There are people that maintain their stuff and then their are people that put their boats up wet and end of the season....Never touch them....Take them to the ramp the next year and wonder why the wheel fell off or the motor will not start.

As to the grease freezing up....... Never Ever have I seen it! Posi Lube is the Superior set up.
I didn’t want to post that because I know you and you know your stuff. Everyone here goes to you for help. I also heard it from a guy that’s works for a trailer place. Funny- may be same guy ?? You are correct- guys like you would never have that problem due to to take care of your stuff. I was like that. Being a mechanic for 50 years but I’m tired- old and don’t care anymore. I need to take care of me now. Lol.

I also heard it from a guy that’s works for a trailer place. Funny- may be same guy ??

LOL.....Thanks Marty. :)

I have spent probably 18-19yrs posting that Posi Lube diagram pix above to explain to folks how it works.

Just trying to educate people. It amazes me how few people know anything about it that own boats.

I have even seen Bearing Buddies installed where there was a Posi Lube spindle......Defeating the Posi Lube set up.

Again.....Cause they don't know.

I used Amsoil Marine Grease. I've also invested in a Pneumatic grease Gun.

When I had the Parker and a Tri-axle trailer it was needed to keep form wearing your hand out when flushing the system.

gwrcr.jpg

Okay, I am going to offer a different opinion.

Trailers are a huge pain in the ass. Saltwater destroys the bearings unless meticulously maintained. It has always amazed me that I can drive my car thousands of miles between bearings needing attention, yet two five mile trips to the loading ramp each year puts trailer bearings at risk. I have a 2300DV that I pull with an Audi Q7. I wouldn't pull it any distance with such a vehicle, but for the short trips it is okay.

The ONLY advantage of owning a trailer (assuming you aren't going to different venues to use it) is that you can work on the boat at your house. If you have a boatyard that will let you work there then a trailer is one less thing that you need to worry about maintaining and storing.

My neighbor has a 23 foot Grady and his trailer failed last year 9cross bar just rotted out) and he gave up on trailers. He is one happy guy having the yard load and unload the boat.

It appears that others on this forum have the time and attention to give maintaining a pristine trailer. I don't really care about it and view any time working on a trailer as a huge waste of time. I replaced all my hubs last year and while it is pretty easy to do I was thinking of all the things I'd rather be doing!

My $.02

dave-j":18s6bmi9 said:
Okay, I am going to offer a different opinion.

Trailers are a huge pain in the ass. Saltwater destroys the bearings unless meticulously maintained. It has always amazed me that I can drive my car thousands of miles between bearings needing attention, yet two five mile trips to the loading ramp each year puts trailer bearings at risk. I have a 2300DV that I pull with an Audi Q7. I wouldn't pull it any distance with such a vehicle, but for the short trips it is okay.

The ONLY advantage of owning a trailer (assuming you aren't going to different venues to use it) is that you can work on the boat at your house. If you have a boatyard that will let you work there then a trailer is one less thing that you need to worry about maintaining and storing.

My neighbor has a 23 foot Grady and his trailer failed last year 9cross bar just rotted out) and he gave up on trailers. He is one happy guy having the yard load and unload the boat.

It appears that others on this forum have the time and attention to give maintaining a pristine trailer. I don't really care about it and view any time working on a trailer as a huge waste of time. I replaced all my hubs last year and while it is pretty easy to do I was thinking of all the things I'd rather be doing!

My $.02
I don’t get it- why are guys having so many problems with trailer bearings? The only thing - this is a must - pump grease into those bearings before you launch. Wash it - that’s it ! !!! What I learned over the years. Less grease is better. What I mean is guys pump so much grease that the rear bearing seal will pop!!! If that happens- salt water gets in and good buy bearings. I can bet every one who had problems with bearings there rear seal is blown out. This is why I like bearings buddy. They only tell me when I should stop pumping grease into the axle. As you pumping grease into axle the bearing buddy get pushed out and you can see it. When it’s out all the way -STOP !!!! My trailer is 05. Never did bearing!!!! I did take it apart in 06 when I moved back to Long Island from Delaware. I just cleaned and repacked bearings. How you can tell your seal popped _ look behind the axle and if you see grease - you piped seal.

This is what a good seal looks like. Clean !!! No grease. I bet if you never pump grease in - you would be ok because the rear seal is good. 14 years old trailer.

Attachments

• 82E7DF92-D172-41CC-9E32-2B49A9B96CD4.jpeg
    82E7DF92-D172-41CC-9E32-2B49A9B96CD4.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 88
  • DFA57BCF-1A00-445C-A674-76E4A8BBC181.jpeg
    DFA57BCF-1A00-445C-A674-76E4A8BBC181.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 86
Marty D":2r9qu387 said:
This is what a good seal looks like. Clean !!! No grease. I bet if you never pump grease in - you would be ok because the rear seal is good. 14 years old trailer.
I have concerns with more than bearings. Brakes rust, lights die, tires dry rot, etc. I washed old trailer and flushed brakes after each use, maybe two round trips a year. Lights and brakes both failed in 5 years or less.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Brent":1377voml said:
Launching a boat when bearings are hot, will cause issues.

Need to inspect seals often for failures

Tire quality is another issue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, if you travel long distance and bearings are hot, cool down before launch. I have original tires. No dry rotting. I must be lucky with this trailer. All the lights work, original brakes. If you just wash your trailer after launch that should keep everything ok. Maybe it’s the brand trailer that been good to me ?

Marty talks about the the Spring and Buddy Bearings.... Typically the inner bearing fails....This happens from lack of grease.
But yep.....You can easily Blow the seal out.

The Posi Lubs are a whole different animal....Just keep pumping and you can change all the grease and not fear the seal will blow.

Lights : I just don't have problems with lights. #1 Run a White wire [GND] to each light! #2 Do NOT use the trailer frame as your GND. [NOTE: You will need to Ground the trailer if you have surge brakes to control the back up solinode. ]

I have VERY specific lights that I use. In 19yrs I've had 1 failure on a customers boat. Half the LEDs didn't work.
It was warrantied. With a Lifetime warranty.

Your wiring connections MUST Be Watertite!

This is the Stop/Turn Optronics STL78RB Order online or Oriley auto parts now has them.

http://www.optronicsinc.com/PRODUCTS/LE ... oductID=96

Note that there is NO RED side marker on them, So a RED sidemarker must be installed.

You want the 2 wire side markers.....NOT the single wire and uses a screw for the hold down as the GND.
http://www.optronicsinc.com/PRODUCTS/LE ... ductID=396

And for the Amber's http://www.optronicsinc.com/PRODUCTS/LE ... ductID=391

I always add a extra amber up the side. I want the trailer LIT UP!.

I hate the clear len's for trailers or running lights on a boat. You can't see the clear side markers near as well until it's dark.

5 pin plugs....5th pin for the brake solinode. The factory installs them......I don't! I install a 7 pin round so no adpter needs to be
used and having one more connection that can fail.

I never unplug the lights when launching.....You can't if you have brakes.....A sealed system will Last.

No guarantees if you run into something.

On the Triple Tree light / ID Bar.....I don't have a link....I just have to look around, But I like the ones that are Total sealed and
have turn signals in them also.

I have a 2310 and purchased a Load Rite trailer in 2009 for $3438.00 since then I have used it approximately 30 times for hauling in and out seasonally to my slip, for removal during potential hurricanes, some maintenance and the occasional trip to the Chesapeake. The boat is a heavy one when loaded with fuel and gear but I have an F-250 to pull it. I bought the trailer simply because I didn't want to depend on the marina or a friend to pull it for a storm or maintenance and I got tired of paying for storage. I have more than recovered my cost in the trailer and have the peace of mind that i can move it when ever I need to.

Back