Throwing love and $$ at an older 21 SE

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regulate It

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2001 21' SE after fishing for years on my buddies identical guide boat in the Chesapeake. The boat was fairly rough cosmetically, lots of minor issues in my book. Had to replace O2 sensor in motor and re-do most of the trailer, wheels, brakes, and replace the surge actuator. I used American Truck and Trailer in Manassas area - great work and great prices.

So I stripped it bare of just about everthing, sold T-top, electronics, anything not bolted down on craighslist and e-bay, filled dozens and dozens of holes via the PorkChunker method, sanded off the bottom paint from the waterline and wet sanded/compounded and waxed the hull back to a glossy shine (not sure if I will repaint, or when/if I will strip the rest of the paint). I also added an electronics box I purchased from a member on the site, super nice guy, and proceeded to cut holes in the beautiful box to flush mount electronics and a new Blue Seas panel for new lighting and other goodies I am adding. I rewired an older existing HDS 5 unit in the e-box, added Lowrance structure scan, Airmar B60 thru hull 12 degree transducer and I plan on adding an HDS8 unit all from Jim at BOE Marine in Annapolis. Also top notch guy.

Finally, courtesy of my lovely wife's desire for shade, I ended up purchasing a custom T-top from Commercial Towers in Monroe, NC. The site is http://www.commercialboattowersusa.com. (I am not advertising for any of these companies, just passing along information for great vendors). I can't say enough about the owner of Commercial Towers, Michael Kinard. Sent him a cardboard template of the console and after a few weeks of impatiently waiting, a georgous t-top with all the bells and whistles shows up today and it fit like a glove. I added 2 LED spreader lights, 3 LED rigging lights including one in bottom of e-box since I fish at night quite often, electronics box (future site of vhf and Fusion stereo etc.), and 3 sided canvas enclosure. Its just beautiful, very well priced and he delivers within a 400 mile radius of Monroe, N.C. On the to-do list is upgrade bilge pump, add a leaning post (also doing it custom through Commercial Towers), stereo, etc.

So long story short, I have probably dumped way too much money in an old boat and could not be happier. I dropped it in last Friday, ran 87 miles from Solomons Island across and down the eastern shore to Tangier Island and back. We caught tons of fish, blood everwhere and I still can't wipe the grin off my face. Thanks to everybody on the site for the advice so far, and thanks to Mr. Parker for building a bad ass boat. (I even e-mailed them and they gave me the wiring diagram for the boat, pictures with dimension of the e-box). Just awesome customer service and I'm not even the original owner. I have not come across a builder with better customer service and I have owned several SeaCraft, a 23 Sailfish, a 23 Regulator (my last boat and reason for my board name).

Here are some before and afters...subtle, but huge in person. A different boat.

Before:

;

Attachments

• Parker 21SE 010 (800x600).jpg
    Parker 21SE 010 (800x600).jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 610
  • Parker 21SE 012 (800x600).jpg
    Parker 21SE 012 (800x600).jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 610
That looks great...I really like the top. Where did you mount your transducers? I have a HDS-10 and just installed LSS-1 StuctureScan this past weekend. I think I may have mounted it a little low as I am getting a lot of spray when running. Aside from that the SS is amazing. I threw my 10' cast net and you could see the net open on the down scan. I can't wait for the wind to lay down so I can get out and catch a grouper.

Thanks. I have owned a lot of boats and for the type of fishing I do now, this is the perfect rig. The T-top far exceeded my expectations. I was originally going without it, but my wife had no where to hide from the summer heat. I am VERY happy with the craftsmenship and communication with the builder. And he is in your area, not sure how far Monroe is, but you can pull into his shop and 8 hrs later pull out with a finished top.

I mounted the ducer so that the flat mounting plate is about a quarter inch below the bottom of the transom. I get some spray but not a lot. And I agree with you it is amazing. I fished with my guide buddy last year at the Bay Bridge Tunnel and we were motiring around pilings and spotting fish tucked in between them. He would call out a depth, we would drop and just punished the fish.

Shoot me a picture of your finished console - would like to see it - [email protected]

Boondoggle - you would not recognize it up close. The top sold the next day. I literally sold everthing off the boat and started new or repurposed.

Megabyte - Thanks. I love the boat and its a pleasure to work on, though I was forced into it for 5 weeks waiting on paperwork. I have learned so much from the site already, especially about the joys of repairing and wet sanding gel coat - NOT. It really is a great resource for Parker owners and boating in general.

After the various pictures I have seen and posts I have read, I have been inspired to bring everthing back to like new..but i'm not sure if the bilge will ever glisten as much as the one in your boat though. :lol:

Soap and water brother.
That's all I use (OK, maybe a little bleach too). :)

Back