Thru hulls

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photoguy

Reaction score
One of my spring projects is to replace this thru hull that sits right at the water line. it is for the in-the-floor fish/ice box between the front seats. The perko flap valve is there to help prevent backwash, but it really doesn't do much other than to add additional protrusion from the hull. I have a couple of thoughts and would appreciate any input.
One is to simply replace this with a better looking thru hull and nix the perko flap. Stainless maybe and be happy with a lower profile than what I currently have. Thought 2 is to incorporate a sea cock on the back-side to have the option of keeping it closed. If I were to do a simple replacement, I guess I'd do the same as what's shown...thru hull with backing ring and nut. A sea cock probably requires more work to fashion some kind of plate I assume.

The fish/ice box is only used for storage and does get some (very little) water intrusion I assume from rain. I've never really measured the height of the box from the water line, but I doubt that water is making it's way up through the thru hull. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what best might go here? I know less than nothing about what's available on the market (not even sure how to go about measuring this for a replacement) so any and all thoughts are appreciated
From the outside:

1_zpsa3cde00e.jpg

From the inside:

photo_zpse4b2c0d0.jpg

A couple of thoughts....

1st you will never get a Seacock into that corner....It just doesn't have the room.

2nd - does this boat sit in the water? I see bottom paint. Stainless is great, but not for direct contact with Saltwater all the time. Silcone Bronze is the material of choice there.

What size is the fitting.

I'd also be paying REAL close attention to the bedding of this fitting. Do what ever it takes to ensure that the core material is safe and sealed from water intrusion and 5200 by itself is NOT the answer.

im trying to find the same thing mine is at the water line but just hits it on the bottom edge is yours a 2310 I do want a scupper does any one know of better scuppers for there

Thanks for the input Wart. Did not know that about stainless. I didn't measure when I was at the boat yesterday, but it's ~ 1.5" hose (or close to that). Surprised that it would be that large in thinking about it as it's simply a drain for the icebox. Will pay particular attention to sealing the hull area as you suggested.

Sam- This is a '96 2110 which has an in-the-floor ice box or fish box and this through hull/hose is the drain. I don't know if the Perko flap was from the factory or not but can tell you that it really doesn't do much...in fact more often than not the rubber flap is collapsed in the hole during the season. I've seen Stainless with a built in flapper but have not yet looked for silicone bronze as Wart has suggested.

warthog5":107pc2b4 said:
Stainless is great, but not for direct contact with Saltwater all the time. Silcone Bronze is the material of choice there.
So true! It is the layer of O2 in the atmosphere that gives SS its corrosion properties. When that O2 layer is missing (part cut-off from air or worse, immersed in water) then SS will corrode ... and fast. Called crevice corrosion.

This SS bolt was inserted into an epoxy-filled 'plug' hole in my transom, sealed by 5200, and was only in there 6-seasons. For critical items I make sure to only 316L series SS, but that won't totally eliminate all corrosion. I also now heavily coat all SS hardware with Triple Guard synthetic marine grease before the install. Only the washer/sealing surface gets any 3M 5200 treatment if any exposure to water.

file.php

mine is the same as yours how does yours drain I have to go forward to bring my bow down to get some of the water out

sam3":2spmizkp said:
mine is the same as yours how does yours drain I have to go forward to bring my bow down to get some of the water out

Sam- My fish box is typically 'under cover' from the canvas enclosure but some rain water seems to get in there. I only use it for 'relatively' dry storage and keep a plug in the drain that's inside the box to prevent any backwash though I'm not sure that's really happening. After a few weeks I might have a half inch of water in there and I use a sponge to get that out. It wouldn't drain on it's own as the pitch of the box is toward the rear of the boat (with the drain on the bow end of the box) and the level of water in there barely rises to the bottom of the drain in the box.

That's how mine is, the pitch is wrong, most of it drains. I don't ever get water back thru the drain and no rain. I have an enclosed hard top. I do use lots of ice.

Back