Tore it up pretty good

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photoguy

Reaction score
:shock:

Aside from this it was a pretty good boating weekend!

Traveling through a passage I've crossed a million times, there was a 'thump'. Ouch. I presume that this might be beyond repair but will check that out later this week. In the meantime, I'm going to need a new prop. This is a 15 1/4 X 19 and does everything I would expect. Inasmuch as I've got to get a new prop (but will see if there isn't something re-furbished in the area), maybe it's time to explore an alternative? 175 Suzuki on a 2110. Just wondering while I wait for the parts departments to open this morning if there's any consensus on a better (cheaper would be a bonus) substitute?
Thanks in advance-

photo1_zpse213e470.jpg

photo2_zpsf5c0cb2c.jpg

photo3_zpsecbf9db7.jpg

photo4_zps282d4eed.jpg

Brent":3r5rhdqo said:
Take it to a prop shop that will repair and re hub it

On my way to the local shop now. Curious if this can be repaired.

Ouch ... hope you didn't go to H&H, have had phenomenal success w/ NE Props out of Plymouth. Used to be able to drop off & pickup props repairs to them at West Marine, not sure who they use now. NE would even tweak pitch/rake if you needed to raise RPMs some, that other shop tried 3-times and failed miserably ...

Check your propshaft for excessive run-out!!!! Do a searh, I've posted a DIY check.

Thanks for that Dale. Yeah...H&H, only a few miles from home. A week and a few hundred $ to repair. Felt a little better as I surveyed the pile of bent and broken props on the floor of the office as I was dropping it off.

Good news I suppose is that I was going pretty slow when it happened, will do a check though to see if there's anything else going on with the shaft.
A little surprised not even a scratch to the lower unit so in some ways I guess I got lucky. If it was a rock (which we could't see either before or after) I must have been at the bottom of a swell or something as the charts indicate 7' at low tide and there were 3-4 boats who went right in after me without incident.

Just back from the boat where I made up a little jig to hold a pointer to check for run out. Turned the shaft and immediately discovered that my jig wasn't necessary. About .5" run-out at the shaft end.
Lower unit going into the shop.

Double ouch.

:(

DaleH":3gr6m9dj said:
Photoguy":3gr6m9dj said:
Double ouch.
Ouch ... to boot, but I'm sure glad you checked it!

Me too...Thanks for suggesting that as truthfully, I probably wouldn't ever have thought of it.

SS props are nice but make the gear case more suceptible to damage because they're so solid. An aluminum prop in same situation would have been destroyed but it's less likely the shaft would have been bent. either way it's a pita...

Back