towing a boat with a transom bracket

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In2Deep

Reaction score
Not sure if Im posting in the right thread,but here goes. I just purchased a 23' Steiger Craft Cheseapeke with an Armstrong transom bracket with a Suzuki 235 super 6 motor mounted on the bracket. (sucks there are no Steiger forums like this??)
The boat will be picked up by a hauler and delivered. My question is are there any precautions,straps,rods,etc .,that are commonly used to trailer this type of setup? It will be traveling 150 miles through lower NY out to the East end of Long Island.
Just dont want any issues.

thanks,Jerry

I think a lot of it depends on what type of trailer it's sitting on.

I like bunk style trailers,where as Folks on the East coast seem to like rollers.

If it sits on a roller,I'd tie that bad boy down from the front ,and back good and tight so it doesn't get away fron you as you roll down the road.

I use backstraps on my 2120,and it's always cinched up tight to the bow rest,and then has a safety chain.

I think when you are trailering long distance a little "overkill" is a good thing...IMO.
MJ.

Oh man I just reread your post ,and it says it's being picked up by a "hauler" :oops:

Not sure what type,but I would check it VERY carefully when it gets deliverd to ya. :wink:
Good luck.
MJ.

Not sure about Suzuki, but most motors have a locking mechanism that can be employed when trailering.
This take the pressure off of the hydraulic rams when traveling, but you could do the same thing with a hunk of 2x4.

Strapping down the transom is a given, but like Micheal, I also like to strap down the bow.
You would be amazed how much the bow moves up and down while trailering.

considering the trailer is road ready some things I do for my boat:
check all antennas lights in down poisition if needed,Bow eye should have rope or rachet strap to stop bounce also stern straps through each tow eye in stern to trailer, and 4x4 peice of wood put under motor to give clearance and brace motor (some motor tilt up brackets not the best for towing) and one Yosemite Sam sticker that saz "back off"

thanks for the advice,Ill be sure and make sure shes secured iin the bow and the stern,my concern was with the bracke, Ive never dealt/owned a boat before with one,it just seems like a lot of weight (suzuki 225)hung out behind the transom with a decent length lever arm(bracket),concerned it would rip out of the transom ,especially on these NY rough/bouncy roads!

nervous,Jerry :roll:

No need to worry.
The brackets (and transoms) are designed to carry the load.

Back