Trailer brake maintenance

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsw

Reaction score
This is my first trailer with brakes and having never had to deal with them, I'm thinking there's some kind of maintenance I should be doing in the spring time. I've got my 2120 on a 2005 5 Starr dual axle, single axle brakes. I only trailer a couple of local driving miles (40 mph tops), so the pads don't get much wear. But I noticed the discs are showing rust. The trailer really only moves twice a season, once at launch and again at haulout. Last time out, I forgot to pull the pin that keeps the coupler from sliding when backing the trailer and activating the brakes, so I'm guessing that's partly why I see rust on the rotor surfaces.

Aside from changing pads, anything else to be done to keep the brakes working? I'm concerned about having them just lock up on me one day, but I'm thinking that might be less of a problem with disc brakes than it would be with drum brakes since they should be better sealed from the elements.

Any recommendations is appreciated.

Thanks

John

johnsw":31b8n4x0 said:
This is my first trailer with brakes and having never had to deal with them, I'm thinking there's some kind of maintenance I should be doing in the spring time. I've got my 2120 on a 2005 5 Starr dual axle, single axle brakes. I only trailer a couple of local driving miles (40 mph tops), so the pads don't get much wear. But I noticed the discs are showing rust. The trailer really only moves twice a season, once at launch and again at haulout. Last time out, I forgot to pull the pin that keeps the coupler from sliding when backing the trailer and activating the brakes, so I'm guessing that's partly why I see rust on the rotor surfaces.

Aside from changing pads, anything else to be done to keep the brakes working? I'm concerned about having them just lock up on me one day, but I'm thinking that might be less of a problem with disc brakes than it would be with drum brakes since they should be better sealed from the elements.

Any recommendations is appreciated.

Thanks

John
Your car's brake discs rust too. Ever look at them after a rainy night? Ever hear a bit of grinding when you first step on the brakes in the morning? Thats the rust being ground off by the pads.

Don't worry about it. The discs are cast iron, and will rust no matter what (unless you spend the big bucks and get SS discs from Kodiak). Wash them off after each use, and let 'em rust a little. So long as you don't let them get scabby, and there's no metal loss, you can't really screw them up. They aren't like drums where rust will get into the springs and wheel cylinder bores. Aren't disc brakes great?

Thanks for the feedback. Not too concerned with the surface rust, since like you pointed out, it would probably wear off with use. But since I essentially disabled the brakes by leaving the coupler pin in, that didn't happen last time I pulled the trailer.

Disc brakes are the only way to go. Sealed from the elements, so hopefully seized brakes shouldn't be a problem unless something else is going on. But I guess, pretty much maintenance free until it's time to replace the pads?

John

Back