transducer wire through hull

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIsound

Reaction score
how do you guys have the wire from your transducer run? I have a 23 ccdv. and for the past five years, ran it through the scupper. I've got to change that. too much water comes in the back since the scupper won't close. I'm just not too keen on drilling another hole through the transom.
just would like to see some setups.
thanks

LIsound":roh1b76a said:
how do you guys have the wire from your transducer run? I have a 23 ccdv. and for the past five years, ran it through the scupper. I've got to change that. too much water comes in the back since the scupper won't close. I'm just not too keen on drilling another hole through the transom.
just would like to see some setups.
thanks

Most folks that go through the transom drill the hole oversized, wet out the core well with epoxy, slip the wire through, and seal the hole with marine silicone and cover the outside with a clamshell (make sure you wet out the clamshell screw holes with epoxy too).

The reason I would use silicone as a sealant is because transducers do not last forever. The day you have to replace it you will be thankful you used silicone rather than something like 4200.

The previous owner of my 2530 notched the door on the scupper so it closes, I was going to change it but never had a problem so I just left it.

Not ideal but the bracket platform hides it so it can't be seen.

I've been reading some old posts, and it seems i can keep it through the scupper hole. I just have to notch the cover so it closes all the way. I really don't want to drill a 1" or larger hole in the back of the transom under the bracket. it just scares me to do that.

I think I like the Scupper idea.

Slight OT but can you mount 2 transducers side by side without interference?

Bryan,
post that pic if you get a chance.
I don't think you can mount them side by side. What do you need two for?

Not ideal but you get the idea, I have 2 sounders, a Garmin with the transom mount and a Furuno with the Airmar through hull.

I can't run them both at the same time or they interfere with each others picture.

I didn't notch the door, you could probably make the notch alot smaller than the one shown.

Attachments

• 227577_1798904849857_1156851799_31656656_5218830_n.jpg
    227577_1798904849857_1156851799_31656656_5218830_n.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 479
Ryan C":2qncktbp said:
can you mount 2 transducers side by side without interference?

Only if the transducers operate on different frequencies.
If they are operating on the same frequency, then no.

thanks guys, i guess i'll do an exact replacement.

Bryan: what furuno? 600 or 620?

Most folks that go through the transom drill the hole oversized, wet out the core well with epoxy, slip the wire through, and seal the hole with marine silicone and cover the outside with a clamshell (make sure you wet out the clamshell screw holes with epoxy too).

The reason I would use silicone as a sealant is because transducers do not last forever.

The major key in what Kev said is do not last forever.

So lets plan for the future.

The Blue Seas Cable Clams are watertite and able to take apart....with NO cutting mind you and make it very easy to be replaced.

I use them on all boats that I install electronics on. They come in 3 different sizes.

100_1257.jpg

100_1259.jpg

100_1260.jpg

100_2534.jpg

This is when I was mocking everything up before paint on my boat.

P1010255.jpg

I just with they made those things in colors other than white. I hate putting bright white stuff on an off-white surface. Black and off-white would be really nice to have as well.

On my old boat, I took one and bored out the rubber insert so it would fit around my steering cable and sprayed it black with Krylon Fusion. Made for a nice, clean install but the paint didn't hold up. :(

Yea I could see where Black colored ones would be of use. You guys that know me, know I like Black. Like Antennas and trim tabs and such. :D

You have to usually sneak up on the size hole you drill thru the rubber. I actually have notes on the shop wall for what size drill bit for what cable.

See if you used a vernier caliper and measured the cable and then drilled the hole that size you would think that it would be correct. It's not because your drill rubber and rubber tends to stretch and push out of the way when you drill it.

So you end up with a hole to small. That's when you have to keep sneaking up on the size, but not go overboard.

Then once you think you have the correct size, you slit the rubber from the outside edge to the hole you drilled.

Now once you do that slit, it's about impossible to go back and drill the hole again if it's to small,as the rubber will just expand and no material will be removed.

So you do your damnedest to get it right the first time and thus why I have notes on my shop wall. :D

Something else when I drill the hole thru the panel that these are mounted on. As I said they are available in 3 sizes. Always drill the center hole as large as the gasket center hole.

This will help in the long run.

Back