transom seat padding removal on new 23 SE and other mods

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captnick

Reaction score
Since I use my new SE strictly for fishing I'm making a few modifications. The padded seats aft would end up with hooks in them and stained with blood and bait so I removed the snap on bottoms and the back pads. I want to utilize the existing holes from the seat pads removed to mount a rod holder or something else in the near future. Until I decide I'm going to put some stainless bolts/screws in to cover the four holes. I'd like to see or hear what others have done after removing these pads or any other simple SE modifications. I've already replaced the plastic rod/cup holders aft with the solid all stainless one Mate Series makes. I removed the porto potti to make more storage room inside the console and used stick up plastic hooks for hanging lines ect.

Can you post a pic of what your are left with after removing the backrest? I’m not sure I would go with bolts as that’s likely to still be a spot that people sit, I’d look for a solution that is more flush with the surface or maybe consider sea deck type padding.

Mr. Speeder":mghw3ryx said:
Can you post a pic of what your are left with after removing the backrest? I’m not sure I would go with bolts as that’s likely to still be a spot that people sit, I’d look for a solution that is more flush with the surface or maybe consider sea deck type padding.
I could e-mail you a photo but this description should work. The seat back rest pads have two threaded 5/16 studs 9" on center that pass through the fiberglass attached by a washer, lock washer and nut. I was pleased to find there was no adhesive used to install these seat backs. You're left with two holes 9" on center on each side. You need to be careful when pulling backrest off because the threaded studs will chip fiberglass around hole off if you're not. Just to keep it from being an eyesore I put two 5/16 stainless hex head bolts with nylon washers on each side. I sat in the seat and don't see a problem with lack of backrest or the bolts as they only stick out @1/8". The next owner can put them back on if he wants and they won't have holes from hooks and blood stains. I was considering rod holders where the seat backs were but I now think there are enough rod holders and want to leave those seats usable for the long trips to fishing grounds. I've replaced the two aft rod/cup holders with the 3 pound 316 stainless versions and have the forward two ordered from Mate Series who makes them. They're very strong, look good and drop right in the holes already there so no drilling is necessary. Anyone who has the plastic ones with the stainless cap on a Parker needs to read my post on the problem. The gasket Parker is using is incompatible with the ABS plastic and causes the plastic to degrade, crack and fall apart. I also removed the porto potti from inside the console to make more storage space and added hooks for hanging extra lines and gear as well as plastic storage tubs for gear and cleaning supplies. The vinyl inserts for the rod holders on the back of console seats were coming off with the rods because no adhesive was used to keep them in. So I fixed that before I lost one. I love the boat and none of this is meant to cast the 23 SE in a negative light. I'm just tweaking it to make it more suitable for my needs.

Attachments

• IMG_1124.JPG
    IMG_1124.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 73
Back