Transom Tranducer Placement

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeMarkCA

Reaction score
Did I read here a while back that common knowledge has it, that the best placement for a transom transducer is the flat spot right next to the drain plug, on a 2320?

Thank you.

That is a great location.

Although it is also the best location for 2 bilge pumps. And if you install your bilge pumps at this location, there isn't much room for a thru-hull transducer.

I put my B164 on the starboard side ...... 4-5" lateral of the centerline. Works perfect at all speeds.

Attachments

• IMG_7659.JPG
    IMG_7659.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 305
Here’s where mine is mounted. I think it works pretty good although I generally lose contact with the bottom at high speeds.

598065481a6ec0a6bccaec365b7226a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I should have specified, I do have a thru-hull for one of my units, but this is for a transom mount for a Raymarine Dragonfly 7 pro

MikeMarkCA":qge9prkz said:
I should have specified, I do have a thru-hull for one of my units, but this is for a transom mount for a Raymarine Dragonfly 7 pro

Why? Why are you down grading with a tinker toy Raymarine?

Here are transom mount instructions.

Specifically page 2....... Yes that is instructions for Airmar X-ducers....It still applys.....and Airmar makes 90& of the X-Ducers out there.

http://www.airmar.com/uploads/InstallGu ... 247-03.pdf

warthog5":1xoio551 said:
MikeMarkCA":1xoio551 said:

Why? Why are you down grading with a tinker toy Raymarine?

Here are transom mount instructions.

Specifically page 2....... Yes that is instructions for Airmar X-ducers....It still applys.....and Airmar makes 90& of the X-Ducers out there.

http://www.airmar.com/uploads/InstallGu ... 247-03.pdf

Downgrading? How do you know what I had before? I wanted a second plotter and back-up fishing finder, wanted to try a CHIRP unit that would not break the bank...most of my bottom fishing is in 150ft or less, kind of fit the the bill.

LOL I had a customer buy and bring me a Ray Dragofly to install.

Let me first say i hate Raymarine..... The Dragonfly confirmed it once again with it's Tinker toy plastic mount and No
A -Scope available.

The Raymarine CPT 100 transom mount transducer is hardly a "toy". It's a very powerful transducer that I run side-by-side to my Furuno 585 & Airmar 164..... same boat. Two transducers. The Raymarine can "see" everything above the bottom that the Furuno can "see". Actually, the Raymarine is a little better in clarity and target discrimination especially in the DownVision mode.

The Furuno is better in determining bottom composition/structure (ie - sand vs. rock/coral).

The Raymarine is effective in water out to about 450-500ft. The Furuno is better at 3x that depth.

The attached photo is of a school of American Red Snapper in 148ft located about 45 miles offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. The display is a Raymarine a128 with their "baby CHIRP" on the left and DownVision on the right.

I have another photo of a the same a128 in 450ft of water reading tilefish with the Furuno reading the same bottom. There isn't much difference in the screen image in either the Raymarine or the Furuno.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender1.edit.jpg
    FullSizeRender1.edit.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 195
Yea....That's not a Ray Dragonfly.....I see your running some Very old Garmin there too.

warthog5":1bor8m0p said:
Yea....That's not a Ray Dragonfly.....I see your running some Very old Garmin there too.

The Dragonfly is a very low price point unit designed for the lake/pond/kayak/light jon boat angler. Nobody should use the Dragonfly as a measuring stick for the entire lineup of Raymarine electronics.

Raymarine also makes some very high end electronics that are very powerful, very fast, reliable and easy to use. Their CP370/470/570 sonar are amongst the best in the industry. Their digital color radar is almost amongst the best. And many people say that the Raymarine AP is the best available today.

Yup .... I have run that Garmin 182c on many different boats for the past 10 years. Although I didn't not install it on my current Parker...... it's now in semi-retirement but is still installed on a small 18ft skiff with an ETEC 60.

There have been some strong options by some regarding Raymarine’s product on this forum. Personally I have used them for over 20 years with no issues. Currently I have a A128 with a cpt120 thru hull transducer and I could not be happier with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK Now you get to hear my side. :)

We agree on the Dragonfly ..... Pretty much.

My very first piece was a Raymarine A Long time ago. It failed due to Piss poor design of the X-Ducer cord. Ray throught it was OK to use a O-Ring to hold the power cord into the unit....Yes they could not spend $.25 for a screw in connector.

It fell out bouncing across the waves....I plugged it back in and it spiked the unit. They don't build stuff like that anymore. It should never been built like that in the first place!

Next...Several customers had to have their 300series Black box's replaced.

Guy brings me a Dragonfly....Where the head unit and station fit together...I think it's going to break putting it together....For sure not a part designed to remove easily.....I've had model cars with better plastic than that.

Next...High end boat .... 30ft Intrepid. Full decked out with Raymarine. Customer brings it to me for a Full change over. Change from Raymarine to a Full aray with twin head units in Simrad.

Just taking the Ray stuff out....It was Big.....Bulky...and proprietary. I hate Proprietary...Thats why I don't like Apple products either.

In my neck of the woods....When you see a boat with Raymarine on it...It's because there is a dealer in town sells it to the unsuspecting boat owner. They could sell them any line, as they handle All of them. But....They make more money on the Raymarine stuff.

Recently had a customer bring me his new boat. It had Simrad on it....He was one of the former persons that had Raymarine and had to have the Black box replaced.

I installed a 1000watt thru hull in his new 23ft $90K boat. Yea.....boats are slam out of sight now for a new decked out one. The Simrad is just much more user friendly....although nothing beats Garmin for user friendly.

So there is my experience.

Now sounds like you've had Ray a long time and are happy with it. Good for You. :)

Actually Wart ..... you are incorrect on several assumptions ..... first, the dealer margins are HIGHER on Simrad and Garmin. Raymarine margins are lower than Garmin and Simrad but higher than some others.

The new FLIR Raymarine are very NMEA 2000 compatible with any other manufacturer. No problem networking. Raymarine no longer uses any propriety "language" or hardware. You are thinking of SeaTalk used in the Pathfinder series from 15 years ago.

The new FLIR Raymarine products (the a-, c- and e-series; notice the "lower case" designations), and Axiom are more powerful, faster, and offer more options and offer all of this at a lower price than what is currently offered by Garmin or Simrad. I like Garmin and Simrad too. But as a consumer who has done a lot of unbiased research in this field, Raymarine in doing great things in the past 4-5 years. You should have another look at their product line-up........ I think that you'd be surprised on how much the new FLIR line has improved.

Back