Trim tab anodes

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzumi

Reaction score
I have started keeping my Parker in a slip but the anodes on the trim tabs seem to erode very quickly. Fresh anodes are already in need of replacement after just 2 months in the water. Seems fast to me.

I used a silver chloride electrode to take measurements while the boat was in the slip. All readings on through hull fittings were within the suggested acceptable range for a glass hull boat. But I did not test the trim tabs.

It seems to me that the trim tabs can essentially be thought of as ss plates dangling in seawater-- they are attached to a glass hull and there is no electrical continuity from the piston (or whatever you call the actuator) since it appears to be nonferrous.

So what are some options?

1. Replace the anodes every couple of months. It's a hassle to get the boat back on the trailer.
2. Connect the tabs to the boat's bonding system. How? And would that even work?
3. Any other suggestions?
And yes, the marina has a lot of stray current.

Thanks for any and all thoughts,
John

Oooops.. just noticed the post about using alum anodes on the tabs.

How much of a difference would we possibly see by switching to aluminum anodes on the tabs?

iam having the same problem cant keep zincs on tabs now were tabs retract to boat I see problem going to dealer been a problem since new in 2013

. ....I use the aluminum anodes on my tabs and by the end of the year they are shot. .....however the ones on the motor (also aluminum) look real good. I'm sure there's some lengthy scientific mumbo jumbo of why it reacts so different on the stainless tabs. ......all I care is. ......they work!

. . ......I see your point about it being a hassle to get back on the trailer to change. ....but it's much easier/cheaper than new tabs!

Shannonigans":a7dewm8q said:
. ....I use the aluminum anodes on my tabs and by the end of the year they are shot. .....however the ones on the motor (also aluminum) look real good. I'm sure there's some lengthy scientific mumbo jumbo of why it reacts so different on the stainless tabs. ......all I care is. ......they work!

. . ......I see your point about it being a hassle to get back on the trailer to change. ....but it's much easier/cheaper than new tabs!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426357163.020833.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426357163.020833.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 239
Back