Trim Tab System cost??

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fighterpilot

Reaction score
In looking at some pictures the surveyor sent me on the 2000 Parker 2520 I am considering, I don't see any trim tabs. Did they put out the 2520 without trim tabs? What will it cost me to add the whole trim tab system to the boat?

As an after thought, the tabs maybe in the bottom. I guess they did that with the Lenco tabs???

My '95 2530 had no tabs. In fact the whole boat was as it came from the factory...They did add a Garmin 4212 with transom mount X-ducer.

The boat was very plain and I spent 6months almost every day adding and making it better.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12419

A Bennett kit for 9x30 inch tabs for the 2520 will run you $800 - $1200 depending on the type of control pad you get. The led indicator type control pad is pricey. Install is not difficult to do yourself.

So they do send them out of the factory without tabs. Is that an exception, like special order?? Did they ever use the recessed tabs in the hull. I have emailed my surveyor the note about "didn't see any tabs", and asked him to let me know if that is the case. If I have to add tabs guess they will be the Bennett 30x9 but don't know if ought to spend the extra dollars for the EIC system versus the old rocker arm controller. EIC system talks about less wires and a remote sensor, but is that just for tab indicator position display wiring and the rest of the wiring system is the same as the rocker control system. So, if willing to do without the indicator display, is the wiring is the same for both systems. ??? $160 dollars difference in cost in the Defender Catalogue. Thanks

They are probably recessed mounted under the transom of the boat and you cant see them in the pictures.

Surveyor just responded to my query. He said no trim tabs and no sign they had been removed either. Motor has 450 hours on computer with more than half of that at idle, and with down riggers it appears primary use might have been trolling. Maybe they got along with out the tabs for the infrequent trips it made to fishing waters. Based upon my readings on this forum I can't conceive of the boat without tabs, so that is a future cost to consider. Would $1000 get them purchased and installed? If I go ahead with the purchase I would probably go with the 30 by 9s vice the 24x9 even though it is a couple hundred more dollars. Your thoughts? Would the extra $200 be money well spent. Should I spend more for the ECI or just stay with the rocker? On the previous other 3 boats I didn't feel the need for indicators. I just trimmed by feel, rpm, speed, and sight. Thanks

9x30s with indicators IF you run a fuel computer. I do and from experience I've learned the best numbers for the best ride and most fuel efficient running attitude. If I had the spare $$ to throw away, I'd buy the automatic tab adjuster by Bennett ... that would be the cats meow!

Oh, this is a simple DIY install, no need for an installer if you're handy.

Boat doesn't have fuel indicator so would be inclined to save the $160 and just go with rocker arm switches.

I put 9x24 lencos on my 2520 made for a great handling boat and much better fuel mileage. Lenco's are half the price of Bennetts and much easier to install. I've used them for years and never had a problem. Parker uses them exclusively from the factory.

I checked Lencos from Jamestown and they were more than the Bennetts from Defender. Where did you get yours for half the cost??. Thanks

mildew2":rlej6yhr said:
Lenco's are half the price of Bennetts and much easier to install. I've used them for years and never had a problem. Parker uses them exclusively from the factory.
Uhhhhh, that alleged price difference you quote is absolute BS! I just found Lenco and Bennett 9x30 installation kits on-line, both with the tab position readout indicator and both are a few bucks +/- of $750, in fact the Bennetts were cheaper!

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/bennett-tri ... 56687.html

It has been beaten to death on many forums, but the Bennett is the superior system, even if you have to prime and install the hydraulic system, but you only do that once. Their tab plane is superior and I have yet to see a Bennett tab plane fall off, like I have seen on 3 Lencos in my life so far. Lenco welds their hinge and once welded, that area is no longer stainless steel - it is plain ol' carbon steel and WILL corrode in our s/w environment.

FACT - the only reason Parker installs Lencos from the factory is purely to keep the co$t of the boat selling price down, as Bennetts can take an hour or two extra (no more). I know that as their head of engineering told me that himself personally! In fact he added that his own Parker boat wore Bennett tabs ... so what does that tell you :?: ?

I installed mine in 2001 and haven't had to touch them since. But have had friends who have had to replace Lenco actuators and switches, as well as the planes of others that corroded in saltwater and fell off ...

I don't care what brand he buys, as long as he doesn't buy those Volvo piece of crapola ...

I agree with Dale. In my experience as a boat yard service writer I've seen much more trouble / replacement of Lenco systems than Bennett systems. In fact, the only repairs I've seen on Bennetts was to straighten out reversed wiring at the controls. The Lenco actuators are replaced quite frequently.

I like Bennett too. On a previous boat I bought, the pump became a problem. I ordered one thru Bennett and they gave it to me. Can't beat that for service.

fighterpilot":y6h54ugi said:
I like Bennett too. On a previous boat I bought, the pump became a problem. I ordered one thru Bennett and they gave it to me. Can't beat that for service.

I've said this before and I'll say it again....."Bennett is THE #1 company in the marine industry."

If other companies would strive to give a product AND customer service likw Bennett did....We would all be a Lot happier.

it's because of Bennett.....that lenco has the warranty that they do.

I have 9 X 24's....No one had talked about 9 X 30's until after I installed mine.

Got'em form Jim @ BOE.

http://www.boemarine.com/bennett-trim-t ... indicator/

If you want them installed....let me know.

Brent":10f07cfm said:
What is the optimal size for my 2320 (2330)?
Biggest that will fit ;) ! But I would think 9x24s would do it.

Confirmed with broker, boat doesn't have trim tabs. I guess Parker put out some boats without tabs. What will it cost me to get the 30x9 installed with just the rocker switch??

Also, anyone got a 2520, closed transom, with a single, 4 stroke Suzuki on it for sale at at $25,000 or less? Present boat under contract is a 2000 with 2005 DF225 with 450 hours. Thanks

Ten years ago at 70 years young I would probably done the install myself, but today think I will pass. I need someone that knows how to bed the tabs, treat all screw holes and drilled holes to insure no water intrusion and get the wiring up to the controls and hooked up. I did install a transducer on a transom a few years ago but trim tabs are a little more of a job than I want to tackle. Appreciate the encouragement however. One of the questions remaining is-should I spend the extra dollars for the 30x9 vice the 24x9.

Back