Trim Tabs not working

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noahs_Ark

Reaction score
Guys, I need some advice...my trim tabs have stopped working. I checked the fuse, and it is fine...they are Lenco. I checked the wiring and battery connections everything looks as clean as the day it was bought.

any thoughts, ideas, demands would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance!

If totally dead, no noise, check the connectors if any in the wires. I had two connection like boxes in the wires, sprayed with 656, reconnected and they worked every since.

Thanks gentlemen, I am going to pull the switch this week and check the connections. For some reason, my switch doesnt have the LED light option. If I still cannot find the fix, I am going to have to Lenco, as the boat riding uneven and is driving me mad!

My Lenco setup uses the standard switch as well (no LED's). Seems odd that both tabs are non-functional. Each tab will have a plug/wire harness that extends the connection from the bilge area up to the console where they plug into pigtails attached to the main control box. A small harness runs to the switch and just plugs into the back. I would suspect a faulty switch or control box, compared to both actuators failing at the same time.

Be sure to report back after you do some troubleshooting and talk to Lenco. I called them once about the auto-retract feature, and the woman I spoke with was very knowledgeable about how the system functions/connects. Good luck :D

Michael, I'm not sure if you found the problem with your trim tabs yet. I just had my port side actuator stop working. While I was trouble shooting I noticed rust coming from around the stainless rod that comes out of the actuator. Sure enough, when I took it off and separated the housing it was full of rusty water. Contacted Lenco on 10/17/2012. The Lady on the phone explained how to file a warranty claim online. I'm expecting a new actuator tomorrow afternoon. I asked if they wanted the old actuator returned and she said nope, throw it in the can.

Charlie
Eden, Maryland

Thanks everyone...I had to pull the boat for the storm, and took advantage of the time (Didnt realize I would have this much though! :(...)
I called Lenco for support while I was troubleshooting, long story short, both actuators are bad! I asked about the odds, the very helpful gal said this is actually the case! Anyway, now I have a even larger problem, its almost impossible to access the wire coming from the port side actuator. I am really up sh$ts creek with this one...hopefully someone has done this fix before and can lend some direction.

Again, thanks for the support caps.

Has anyone either replaced or installed new actuators on the 21 SE? It seems its impossible to do it as they did at the factory. I cannot get to the wire where it comes through the transom... The dealer wants to charge me $130/hr! :?

Michael,
I just installed a new actuator on my 2520XL. Where the wire ran through was impossible to get to. The new actuator came with 6' of new wire. Since the old actuator was trashed, I cut the wire on the outside and tied a piece of string to the end. I had to help the old wire through with a very small screwdriver. The old 5200 was also being pushed through. once the wire pushed through, I was able to pull the old wire out with the string. I then the the new wire on the string and pulled it on through and up to the plug. Sealing the wire in with 5200, along with putting the upper mount back on was a bit messy.

Charlie,
Eden, Maryland

ceblizzard":2it1sk00 said:
Michael,
I just installed a new actuator on my 2520XL. Where the wire ran through was impossible to get to. The new actuator came with 6' of new wire. Since the old actuator was trashed, I cut the wire on the outside and tied a piece of string to the end. I had to help the old wire through with a very small screwdriver. The old 5200 was also being pushed through. once the wire pushed through, I was able to pull the old wire out with the string. I then the the new wire on the string and pulled it on through and up to the plug. Sealing the wire in with 5200, along with putting the upper mount back on was a bit messy.

Charlie,
Eden, Maryland

Thank you Charlie!
I have finally been able to get around to finishing up this project/headache! Eric Denton at Parker sent me two emails breaking down the walk through details...just goes to show, the Parker family sits on top of the throne, from top to bottom, Great customer service!
I was able to use a snake to install the new starboard actuator...
The port side was/is essentially impossible to get to behind the transom, with the help of some biodegradable (Motsenbocker's Lift Off) AWESOME stuff btw... I was able to pull through about 15 inches of excess cable (from the backside of the transom) and connect the new actuator. Then allowing me to pushed it back through and resealed with 5200.

I was shocked that both actuators died at the same time...(after I pulled them, I ran another test, just to be sure they were indeed dead, simply attaching straight to a battery and I got nothing). So, I decided to open them up, and I found them both filled with rust! :shock:

Thanks again for all the advice!

Back