Trim Tabs on 1989 21 Parker/ souwester mod v

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Paul

Reaction score
I know I should have installed them years ago but I have finally decided to install tabs on my 21 mod v Parker. I have decided to go with Lenco. Now I need to decide what size. I read all through the archives but most of the tab topics are about larger 25 fts. Any suggestions on what size tab I should go with.

9 x 12 will work fine but 12 x 18 will provide more surface area and less tab down to get the same result. In most cases bigger is better. You should check you mounting location good to ensure you get the wire hole above the deck or you will have a beast of a time fishing it out from under.

windknotnc":1sztjmgb said:
9 x 12 will work fine but 12 x 18 will provide more surface area and less tab down to get the same result. In most cases bigger is better.
WIDER is better ... but note that DEEPER projection off the hull will add drag, which gives tab performance as it sacrifices efficiency.

if it were my boat, I'd go as wide as I could using 9" depth tabs. Go wide young man ...'

But you will need to measure YOUR boat for the best install.

I apprecaite the words of wisdom. I was hoping that the top of the ram would be mounted as to where the wire would actually enter/exit through the two battery battery compartments in the rear corners of the boat. Is that going to be possible ?

Mike Paul":98x9e5s7 said:
I apprecaite the words of wisdom. I was hoping that the top of the ram would be mounted as to where the wire would actually enter/exit through the two battery battery compartments in the rear corners of the boat. Is that going to be possible ?

Don't know anything about lencos, as I always install Bennetts.....Bennetts have 3 different length rams and can be swapped with the factory for a length that would work better.

FYI: The only reason that you get good customer service from Lenco.....Is because of Bennett. Bennett is the #1 customer service company in the whole marine industry!

from Bennett's site,

What size trim tab is right for me?

Many factors affect the choice of properly sized trim tabs, and the ultimate responsibility for selection is up to you, the boat owner. To help you decide, Bennett Marine offers you a few guidelines below. If you still have questions about the size you need, just contact us and we'll be happy to walk you through it.

General Guidelines
These sizing recommendations are based on average performance. Your choice may vary based on power, engine configuration, weight distribution, type of boat, and use. The greater the surface area, angle of deflection and/or speed of the water flowing under the trim tab, the greater the lift.

When making a choice between trim tab sizes, remember that the largest trim tabs that will comfortably fit on the transom will be the most efficient.

As a rule, choose at least one inch of trim tab span (per side) for every foot of boat length. (Examples: 22-foot boat = no less than 24" x 9", 36-foot boat = no less than 36" x 9".

Span = side to side measurement
Chord = fore to aft measurement

Whenever possible, choose a 9" chord trim tab, and gain lift through a longer span. The span of the trim tab has more of an effect on the amount of lift. However, a longer chord can be used effectively, and there are situations where you may need to use a 12" chord.

Back