Trim tabs

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do trim tabs really make a Modifed Vee hull ride better in choppy conditions? I have an older 2520 with notched transom. The boat is bulletproof but, will beat the fillings out of your teeth if you try to run on top in any chop.Would love feedback from someone with similar setup.(Tabs up,down,ect...?) I know nothing about trim tabs.Educate me!

25se I just bought is my first one with tabs. They make a huge difference. Trim the bow down just a little and it cuts right through the chop. Also easy to level it out if weight is uneven on board.

From what I've read here the 9 X 24 tab's are the way to go. Just ordered a new set of Bennett tab's for our 2520 and recieved them today, will let you know how they work. Anyone have any words of wisdom for install?

jimjybe":2vwygeaf said:
From what I've read here the 9 X 24 tab's are the way to go.
Yes, that is the size to use. From what I've read on-line, I believe my mod-V boat was the first one wearing that size, as recommended by Bennett. I can dial in up to 20% improvement in fuel economy, versus no tabs, plus improve the felt ride.

Big-sized trim tabs will ADD to your fuel economy, whilst small stock/OEM (12" x 12") trim tabs will REDUCE fuel economy ... and yet they both will improve the ride.

jimjybe":2vwygeaf said:
Anyone have any words of wisdom for install?
Read ALL install instructions ahead of time well. Plan your work, try a 'dry' install before securing, and measure 2-3 times before drilling! If Bennett's the install info is extremely detailed. I can't seek to Lenco installation info, but overall should be even faster to install, as no hydraulics to fill ...

jimjybe":7wj68c1q said:
From what I've read here the 9 X 24 tab's are the way to go. Just ordered a new set of Bennett tab's for our 2520 and recieved them today, will let you know how they work. Anyone have any words of wisdom for install?

Jimiybe,

If you have any questions, post them here and I will be delighted to help. You can also contact me at [email protected] I check my e-mail frequently, even in the evenings and on weekends.

The 24 x 9 is a great choice for your 2520 and I look forward to hearing what you think after you run the boat with them!

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

Thanks for the advice gentlemen, looks like they will be in the box for awhile as I have a lot to do. The instructions are quite simple an straight forward, the only things I would like to know is what kind of resin to use to fill all the old holes and seal around the large inlet fitting hole? Also, will I need to get a longer fitting for actuator where it goes through the transom? 1998 2520

Jimjybe,

The pipe nipples that come with the kit are 3". I can send you 4", or whatever length you need, no charge. Just send me a message with your name and address and what length you need.

Tom
Bennett Marine

Warthog5, thank you for the info on the 4" needed. Tabman, thank you for the offer to provide the 4" tubes, I found some locally but I really appreciate the offer just the same! That is what I call great service! Will let you know how they work when they are installed, I'm thinking this will be a real good upgrade.

9" X 24" tabs are installed and tested on our 2520 MV. The main thing I noticed is how much more you can trim the motor up with just a little tab being used. I guess it allows water to rise off the transom higher due to less of a hull angle. It does improve the ride in chop but not to the point where you can compare it to a deep V. On our 2520 the hull angle is only 14 degrees with one chine so it is only going to ride smooth in calmer conditions. The larger tabs will lower the bow really well without slowing the hull down too much and this will help tremendously up to a point. Being a Parker you can blast through some nasty seas, but you will feel it. (Keep in mind that this information is based on just one day of operation). Not sure if I'd upgrade from 12" X 12" to 9" X 24" if my tabs were in excellent condition (due to cost). Since our original "levelor" system was shot, I am happy that I did go with the 9" X 24" and the Bennett system which was easy to install and works well!

Back