Trim tabs

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogmore916

Reaction score
The 2120 sc that I purchased a month or.so ago , handles a lot different that boats I'm use to. Wondering what I am doing wrong. First off it seems that I never really have to mess with the trim of motor. It gets out of the hole great with motor trimmed all the way down, and while cruising if you go to trim motor, it just raises bow ridiculous high. Also seems I have to use trim tabs all the time even while trolling because boat is all over the place. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

I ran a 2120 for 8 seasons. Seems like you need to run your boat more to get the feel of it. The engine trim I would probably be about mid-way and you really need to use your tabs. Starting out I would try having them all the way down and then raise as you come on plane. I would adjust my tabs to balance your ride versus the engine trim. Learn to adjust your speed as well, don't be afraid to put your nose down and lower your speed in a head sea otherwise you will be complaining about pounding.............practice makes perfect!

Can you explain a little bit more about your situation that is causing you to use your tabs while trolling? You mentioned that you were doing it because your boat was all over the place. Are you talking about a zig-zag situation as in you can't track a straight course? Or, is it wanting to pull in one particular direction? Either way, you shouldn't need to use your tabs while trolling except to maybe slow you down? Also, these 2120's tend to ride a little ass heavy, especially if you are running with a full tank of fuel. If you don't need a full tank then you will find running with about a half a tank or so takes some weight off the stern. The other thing that I will tell you is that some of what you are experiencing is that your driving position may be a little forward in the boat than what you have been used to? For example, if you are coming out of a center consol? Your position in the pilot house magnifies this bow high perception somewhat. I know on my first few trips out in mine, I had the same perception. I guess after some time with it you get used to it? The engine trim thing is different for every boat. These 2120's don't need a lot of engine trim as again, they ride a little ass heavy. The best way to find out where the sweet spot for engine trim is by setting throttle at where you are going to cruise then trim up (in small increments) while watching your speed (preferably on gps). You will usually see it increase some up to a point and the if you trim to far it will cause cavitation and or speed will drop back down. Also, when your trim is right you will notice your steering unload some. It's just something you need time with the boat and you will learn where it likes to ride. Depending on what engine you have I would say that you don't need to trim the engine any until you are running somewhere north of about 3600 RPM's as a very broad general rule of thumb. Sea state, currents etc... are why I say broad general rule of thumb.

Yes I agree that it is all completely new and think it all has to with me not being use to it. I use tabs while trolling because off zig zag, but may be over correcting to much. It's all new to me as far as hydraulic steering, driving on bow of boat, etc. I will next trip on finding sweat spot. Thanks for letting me know that it is normal to use tabs while cruising. I've never had them before , and use to think they were solely for leveling boat side to side. Absolutely love the boat. Just curious on what y'all thought I should work on ( skill wise ) to become a better parker operator. Thanks guys

Is there any slack in your steering? Mine had some slack which disappeared with I bled the system. The slack caused it to wander as you described.

As mentioned above, the condition of the seas require different adjustments. It is not unusual for me to adjust trim and tabs several times while running.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it's worth I usually change my trims via engine/tabs throughout the day, esp when the seas are a bit sporty. I tend to use my engine trim when trolling the canyons to adjust my wake/bubbles to attract fish :wink:

Yes Frog, you will be adjusting your tabs while running mostly for leveling side to side. If you don't have the LED Tab position indicators to tell you where your tabs are deployed, you need to keep track in your head which tab is deployed and how much. The idea is only to deploy what is needed to level you as they do cause drag. Now in other situations, like John mentioned, you may want to deploy both tabs while getting on plane and then you start retracting them when you pop up. Another situation that you will use your tabs for other than leveling your boat is when heading into head seas and you want to get your bow down. In this case they are serving duel purpose if bow down and one maybe more than the other to help level. Obviously, in this example your engine trim would be full down. Other things to note about tabs, you need to be cautious deploying them while in following seas and especially when in an inlet with a following sea. The reason is that it could cause you to broach. Tabs react differently in following seas when you boat and the speed of the waves/current are not far apart. Engine trim is more related to power output/RPM's because as you increase your power it wants to drive your bow down. This is why you need to raise your engine trim. Your boat will also like to ride better at cruise speed with increased engine trim in a following sea to allow you to ride over the top of the waves without the bow trying to dive down. The opposite might be desirable in a head sea as you may want to drop the bow to eliminate pounding from the waves getting under the bow vs the prow slicing through them. I'm not meaning to insult your level of knowledge on all of this. The combination of engine trim and tabs do work together in many combinations and it will become very clear after some time on the water with your new boat. If you are getting a lot of zig- zag I agree with having your dealer bleed the hydrolic steering. I don't want to change direction at this point on you but mine like to zig-zag more than I thought was normal and after I added a Permatrim it tracks very straight now. You can mess with that later so make sure the steering is right and spend some time on the water with it for now.

I don't have tab indicators, and can't keep track in my head, so when leveling I always check to see if backing off the opposite tab will have the same effect as lowering the other.

There is no play in the steering, but I will take this information with me on our next trip out. Picturing it in my mind as I read and feel confident that this will make a world of difference, thanks again.

Godspeed to all

Back