Trolling Rod

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I beleive that is what my father runs with his tuna rods. he has the reel mated with some SeaStriker Billfisher Stand-ups. Weight class would probably be based on what weight line you pull. Being that you probably wont be running for tuna much in an 18'er, I would probably go with a 20-40lb class for bigger striped bass.

http://www.seastriker.com/billfisherrod ... eglass.htm

You could also just get a spooning rod if that is your gig. Of course I would just go with a Penn Senator 3/0 rod for all purposes.

I use all mono because I have my son and other inexperienced boaters with me too frequently. I personally use 30lb Momoi Diamond line with 60lb Ande leaders. For trolling mono absorbs shock due to strikes better due to stretch.

However, Braid will cut the water better for trolling deep. you can get more on the spool. line doesnt stretch, more seasons out of the line (more money up front though). It can cut you to the bone though

Bimini Bay is owned by Folsom Corp in Mahway, NJ. I really like their rods, even their backwater spinning rods are nice! As for line, I completely agree with the momoi diamond 30lb. I am a fan of their smoke blue. Besides for the camo effect in offshore waters, i can see it much better when its off the out riggers, i even have a hard time with hi-vis yellow, so thats my major thing with the blue. Also, momoi is very soft and knots hold very nicely unlike ande line, thats too stiff for me, i always feel my knots dont hold as well with ande. The other nice thing with smoke blue is you can see when you need to respool new line on it because you can see it fade after extended use and extended time in the sun. some people say thats a bad thing, i take it as a good thing and as a sign to replace it.

M5--Where is LBI are you? I am in Brigantine, but often fish by mystic island in the ICW for fluke.

The reason I like momoi diamond line over ande is that it is slightly smaller in diameter, is said to be more abrasion resistant, and actually tests stronger than the Ande. I personally buy the clear. I buy the 3000 yard spools at a time and it does like 9 or 10 330 GTis for me. I try to spool every year just before the fall run.

Mono does stretch quite a bit so if you are looking to liveline or bottom fish. It is not nearly as sensative. I do run braid on my personal pole for bottom fishing.

Back