Trolling Spread around Chesapeake Bay Bridge

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do I understand that you guys use braid on the business end of the line and mono for backing? We do the exact opposite due to braid's tendency to snarl into unfixable knots. However, we like having the additional capacity of braid for the backing. When the mono top shot gets knicked up and too short, we simply replace that and replace the backing avery three years or so.

Thanks for all the discussion. I'm finding this very interesting. Actually, my current pursuit is *striped* bass on a 9 wt. I can't say I've been very successful, however, particularly when they're 40 ft down. :roll: The bluefish on top have kept things interesting, nevertheless.

I've been staring at RangerDog's table and I've run into something that makes me doubt that I'm understanding it correctly. The 2 general principles are that (1) more weight results in a deeper lure, and (2) more line out results in deeper lure. Right? So the part that is confusing me is in the following part of the table (reproduced below):

TrollTable1.jpg

For example, look at the red text. According to my interpretation of the table, this means I can get my lure down to a target depth of 40 ft using 150 ft of 40# mono and 24 oz of lead. Yet the second red line is telling me that I can get down to 50 ft using 150 ft of 40# mono and only 16 oz of lead. Is this correct? Comparing the 200 ft line length rows, we have the same relationship: same amount of line, but less weight gets my lure deeper? Am I interpreting this table correctly?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer here.

-- Fly Rod

Back