Twin vs. Single/Kicker

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badfish

Reaction score
I'm still shopping for my first Parker and trying to distill down my list of "wants." I know I want a sport cabin in the 23' - 25' range (preferably 25'), so I've been looking online at 2320s, 2520s, and 2530s. I'd like to be able to go offshore at least 50 miles in the Gulf, and on longer cruises inshore and on the ICW. So, from a safety standpoint I'm thinking I should have two engines: twin large outboards like Brian has on his 2530, or one large outboard with a kicker motor. Here are the advantages/disadvantages of each as I see it, along with some questions. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts and please correct any misconceptions I may have.

Large Twin Outboards
Advantages: More power/better performance (but at the expense of additional weight?) Better performance if one engine breaks down and I have to limp home. Would I even be able to get up on plane with, say, one 150 hp engine on a twin rig?
Disadvantages: Additional expense and weight. I assume maintenance will cost almost twice as much, and there are twice as many things to break (speaking from experience with a twin I/O cruiser I once owned!). And what are the chances that if one engine fails, the other one will also? For example, do they both draw from the same fuel tank? Same battery bank?

Single Large Outboard plus small kicker
Advantages: Cheaper, more easily maintained, small kicker can be run independently from the large outboard so no potential common issues at the same time. More economical trolling? I assume you guys with this set-up troll with the kicker? Will that get a 2520 up to 5 or 6 kts?
Disadvantages: Less performance. If I break down 50 miles out, it will take all day (and possibly all night!) to limp home on the kicker. Also, would the kicker required a separate fuel supply and controls?

Thanks!

Chances are VERY good you would NOT be able to get on plane.

This is due to propping for twins....It is higher and thus the effort from a single propped higher just is not going to do it.

I do what your talking about.

New DF-300APX Suzzy, no kicker to add weight to the transom, Sea Tow package and EPIRB.

warthog5":2y8ons28 said:
Chances are VERY good you would NOT be able to get on plane.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I had that issue with the twin I/O I mentioned (28' Formula). It wouldn't get on plane on one engine, but I believe it still got me home faster than a small kicker motor would have.

Sea Tow package and EPIRB: Great idea, and I'd probably do that even with twins.

Badfish can;t help with a 25' but 23' only single main engine at least 225. I have a 2320 with 225 and 9.9 kicker 1fuel tank the 9.9 will push it 6mph wot troll all day at 1.8-2.3 so if I was going with 25' twin 200hp or as Wart said 1 300 zuke. 50 out on a 25hp kicker would take 18hrs to home?????? don't forget auto pilot also you will be glad you have it, SEATOW a must have.

Having twins for the sake of having an extra engine to get home is great, IF...

You have separate fuel systems as bad gas will impact both if on same system.

Isolated electrical/batteries.

I'd echo others that a single is fine. Especially a Suzuki or Yamaha.

WAJSKI":1wf0w11r said:
Badfish can;t help with a 25' but 23' only single main engine at least 225. I have a 2320 with 225 and 9.9 kicker 1fuel tank the 9.9 will push it 6mph wot troll all day at 1.8-2.3 so if I was going with 25' twin 200hp or as Wart said 1 300 zuke. 50 out on a 25hp kicker would take 18hrs to home?????? don't forget auto pilot also you will be glad you have it, SEATOW a must have.

A bit off topic, but now that you mentioned it I was wondering about single main engine size. I've seen a few 2520s on BoatTrader with a single 225 hp engine (and an old one with twin 115s). I was wondering if those would be a bit under-powered. From reading other threads here, it appears that they might be. Thoughts?

Badfish":2t83rj2j said:
A bit off topic, but now that you mentioned it I was wondering about single main engine size. I've seen a few 2520s on BoatTrader with a single 225 hp engine (and an old one with twin 115s). I was wondering if those would be a bit under-powered. From reading other threads here, it appears that they might be. Thoughts?

Single 225 hp 4-stroke Yamahas were pretty standard on the 2520 MV's before Parker started offering 250's on the XL's.
We have a member here (Porkchunker) who has a pair of 115's on his 2510.

So it's not unusual to see 225's on a 2520. In fact, I have a 225 OX66 on mine. Pushes it to 34 kts at WOT on flat water. :)

I would get the 2320 and forget the kicker, of course I am a bit impartial owning a 2320 myself ,lol. Seriously though, having a kicker just as an incase you have an engine failure is kind of a thing of the past. Newer outboards are far more reliable than in years past.The kicker will require maintainance and will not push the boat at any reasonable speed, and for the cost of upkeep on the kicker you could pay for a yearly towing membership.

We have a 2320 we bought new in 2006. It has a 225 yami 4 stoke on an Armstrong and a 9.9 yami high thrust 4 stroke, tied to the main for steering and inside controls with electric trim. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy a 2520 with twin 150 4 strokes. The 2320 has been awesome, but I wish it was a little bigger. The 225 has been flawless except for self induced ethanol issues (I came from a diesel and was ignorant). When I was active duty USCG the 2320 followed us everywhere and has been fished everywhere. We are currently with DHS now, working out of Puerto Rico, and the boat is in PR with us. When we get back to 'Merica!, I am going to sell the kicker, It is always in the way. Where we fish on the west side of PR, there is no seatow or anything.... So I keep the kicker for the warm fuzzy.... But back home there is sea tow. But again, if I were to do it again, 2520 with twin 150's. Reasons are that you get almost the same mpg, the 150 is arguably the best outboard ever built, commercial guys run them non-stop for years and easily rack up 4000 hours plus... Last I checked they are about $12k a piece new, so not much different then a single 300 for $20k, maintenance takes a bit longer, and costs a bit more but not that much more considering the cost of a boat and fuel. It is nice to have twins, not completely necessary, but nice... The 2520 is not really any more sea worthy then the 2320, and rides almost the same... But it is expodentially larger, which is nice 50 miles offshore with multiple guys fishing.... That is my 2 cents, I hope it helps your decision.

One of the reason for a kicker is to keep Many hours of trolling of the big motor. If ur not trolling or suspect urself being close to the surf fishing then the safety of getting u out of sticky situation is not there and I would allow seatow to act as a kicker. Twins is over rated. More weight, more fuel, more maintenance, more issues, more problems. Single motor with seatow or kicker with main engine. Justify it of what kind of water u fish in.

My 225 OX66 even at 800 rpm can be too fast in some trolling situations.
I have to fully drop my tabs and trim the motor up to get my speed down.
A kicker might eliminate that.

Megabyte":1kn1jf0j said:
My 225 OX66 even at 800 rpm can be too fast in some trolling situations.
I have to fully drop my tabs and trim the motor up to get my speed down.
A kicker might eliminate that.
exactly one of the reason I have one. My motor runs around 500rms when just in gear. One plus to having a kicker.

parker 2320 with twin F115's. i like it. No problem 40 miles one way in the gulf. It won't of course plane on one but it will do 9 kts.

Attachments

• parker23.jpg
    parker23.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 414
MARKW432156":15exfi2i said:
parker 2320 with twin F115's. i like it. No problem 40 miles one way in the gulf. It won't of course plane on one but it will do 9 kts.

Agreed.

A kicker is not going to push you very well in any sea or wind condition.

I can do 9-10 knots easy on one engine. way better than 3 or less into the wind with a kicker.

well im a new parker owner this year. I purchased an 01 2520 with twin yamai 150's,with both motors down the boat will do 9 mph,While running on one screw! If I lift the disabled up, my vessel will run at 18-22 mph depending on the current!!!The key is to get the disabled motor out of the water and reduce your drag. A kicker motor will have a hard time in any kind of wind or offshore currents keeping you moving in the right direction.

Back