VHF Marine Handheld

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireman

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a VHF Marine handheld radio.

Any suggestions?

The old Powerboat Report tests showed the Std-Horizon units to out perform Icom. Check with Jim from BOE Marine. I have purchased 2 floating VHFs from Std-Hor and they're bulletproof! 6-watts units too!

Standard Horizon all the way. I've got an HX270 (non-floating), and an HX850, which is a floating, GPS-equipped, 6-watt powerhouse. Its by far my favorite radio, other than the usage of buttons to turn the volume up/down (I prefer a knob like the 270).

Thanks for the advice.

I just ordered the Standard Horizon HX850s Handheld VHF with GPS from BOE Marine.

Hopefully it will be here in just a few days.

Thanks again for the replies.

One of the coolest things that the 850 can do is output the GPS data via a small coiled cable in the charging base. I've put a serial connector on my base station, and can interface the VHF to my laptop and use it as a backup chartplotter. I've found the GPS to be surprisingly accurate. You won't regret the purchase.

Thanks for the info Sparky.

It arrived today via UPS and is currently charging in the base. There's a lot of information in this 80+ page owner's manual. Looks like a nice radio with lots of useful features.

Looking forward to using it soon.

Back