VST FILter issues

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefman

Reaction score
I replaced the VST filter in April when she started to bog down when I hit a wake or a wave. Those of you who have had issues no the drill. Had to do it again last week after about 80 hours of use. The question that comes to mind is if this is going to be a regular part of my seasonal maintenance.? Two a year seems a bit much to me, is this happenning to others as well? I'm paying about $90 for the filter and gasket, does that seem about right based on what you guys are paying. Thee only good news is that i've cut the time to to the job down to about 10 minutes and the instant fix it provides is a real relief. Let's hear from you guys if you're having similar issues.

The filters are easy enough to clean that you don't need to buy a new one every time, especially if you already have a spare and can have a clean one ready to install. All I do is get a spray can of carb cleaner with the little straw and blow out the filter from the inside out.

I've heard that icing down the gasket will get it to shrink and be re-used, but I haven't tried that myself. I always have a new one ready to go, but about 50% of the time I can re-use the existing one without any tricks. You do have to be very careful here, if the gasket doesn't fit perfectly, you are almost guaranteed to have a gas leak due to the pressures involved.

In 2007 & 2008 I was cleaning the VST filter at the beginning of the season and at the 100 hr maintenance. Mid-way through the 2008 season I switched over to the 2 micron Racor filters and have gone the entire season without any problems (knock on wood), which is about 75 trips so far. I found that the 2 micron reduced, but did not eliminate, the problem with the mystery silver powder.

One could speculate that if the silver powder is a result of the Ethanol gas reacting with the aluminum fuel tank and the aluminum VST tank, the 2 micron filter would catch most of the junk from the fuel tank, but not the VST.. but I think this a lot of this depends on the gas you are putting in the boat, and how it is mixed, etc..

Another thing to consider if you have been having lots of powder accumulation, is that it might be worthwhile to take a look at the fuel injector filters as well. They are pretty easy to access, but its a little scary un-hooking the fuel rail to get at them.

-- Tom

I am using the 10 micron yami filter and an ethanol treatment. Maybe it's time to switchover to the racor 2 micron. I'm glad Tom mentioned cleaning the filter because I forot to ask that question. I saved the 2 I've replaced and will try to switch one out next time. I thought I could reuse the gasket from last time but wasn't careful enough when I removed the tank lid and lost my chance. Probably worth the money to avoid thr headache of a leak. Surprisingly my tank has been clean as a whistle both times I've opened it with no trace of a silver powder or any kind of residue for that matter. Place I've been going to charges $38 for the gasket.

VST gasket is $14.16 for my F225 from SIM Yamaha. Filter is $28.76.

68V-14984-00-00VAPOR SEPARATOR FLOAT CHAMBER GASKET
1$14.16$14.16
68V-13915-00-00VST MED PRESSURE PUMP FILTER
1$28.76$28.76

I found that when you're cleaning the strainer it works better if you soak is overnight in Power Tune and then blow it out with compressed air.

I use a magnifiing glass to look at every whole in the filter to make sure it's 100% clean.

I also drain the VST once a month to get any of the gray powder out of it

For what it's worth, whether it's just luck or whatever, I'm an old school guy who adds Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel regularly. Some guys laugh at me, but I just had the boat in recently for a major service timing belt etc. at 700 plus hours. I run a 10 micron Racor ahead of the engine and after 700 hours had never touched the VST filter or that other filter with the red line in it which indicates water. It ran perfect when I took it to the dealer and pretty much ran the same when it came out. I only had it in because I venture offsore 40 plus miles with a single engine from time to time. Am I lucky? Or is it the Marvel dissolving alot of crap in the fuel which it claims to do. If your still having trouble you might give it a try. It works for me in every thing I own which has pistons... :lol:

Back