VST Filter Replaced

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireman

Reaction score
I purchased my Parker about 6 weeks ago. Several weeks into running it, I noticed the Yamaha OB started bogging down at higher RPM's. This preceded to get worse over a couple of weeks until it would barely stay running at idle.

This being my first OB, I immediately started reading all the related posts here on CP, and spoke to the mechanic at my marina. First thing I did was start with the easy items. Replaced the Sierra Brand Fuel/Water filter with a Yamaha 10 Micron filter. Also replaced the fuel/water filter on the side of the motor. No change in running, it continued to bog.

Next thing, after reading many of the same posts multiple times, I decided to try my hand at cleaning the VST filter. Got to it fairly easy and found it to be almost completely clogged. This thing looked horrible. I tried cleaning it, soaking it in carb cleaner and blowing it out with an air compressor. It cleaned up very little and I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new one and the gasket for the tank as well. I cleaned the tank out and the float as well. In the pictures, you can see some type of film stuck to the float. It cleaned up very well.

Put everything back, dropped it in the water and it ran the best it has since I've had it. Not the first issue with power loss or bogging down at all. Seemed like I had an entirely different OB on the boat.

I'm posting this and the pictures of the process as a Thank You to CP and those posters who helped me with their previous posts. Hopefully this may help someone else in the future with a similar issue. Having cleaned the tank and replaced the VST filter now, it doesn't seem like that big a deal and was not difficult at all to do. I'll definitely be keeping this one clean on a regular schedule. Also learned some things about the 3 low pressure mechanical fuel pumps for whenever they need replacing in the future.

Anyone have suggestions on other items that I should be proactive in cleaning/replacing before things start to go bad again? I believe in performing regular maintenance before the small things being neglected cause major problems/issues.

Thanks again for your posts and reasonably priced :) training.

Attachments

• VST 7.jpg
    VST 7.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 368
  • VST 6.jpg
    VST 6.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 368
  • VST 5.jpg
    VST 5.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 368
  • VST 4.jpg
    VST 4.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 368
  • VST 2.jpg
    VST 2.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 368
  • VST 1.jpg
    VST 1.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 368
:shock: That could be the nastiest VST filter I've ever seen! :shock:
Another item that needs regular maintenance is the O2 sensor....I clean mine annually, it gets gummed up pretty regularly including the exhaust tube. You'll need a gasket for that also as they are not re-usable....
Congrats on the successful work!

Ditto on
:shock: That could be the nastiest VST filter I've ever seen! :shock:

Got you mileage out of that one ! :lol:

Thank you for adding to the CP knowledgebase! :)

You have already discovered that the low pressure fuel pumps should be replaced about every 3 to 4 years.
The diaphragms in them don't last forever.

Something that has kept me clean and out of trouble is the religious use of Ringfree, StarTron, and StaBil at every fill-up.
Ever since I've been treating my fuel like that, I have had zero fuel system issues (including the VST).

Some folks don't feel that fuel amendments are needed, but I cured many of the fuel related issues I inherited after I bought my boat 8 years ago, by using those products.
As always, YMMV. :wink:

Kevin
If you read my post today you may know I am still in the bank...I mean shop. What does Ring Free do for an OB? Would it help with the dirty injectors that Yamaha thinks I have? I use Stabil but not ring free. What are their differences?

Wayne

Not certain about Ringfree and the injectors. I believe that is what StarTron was designed for, but if my experience is any indication (and my experience is not a scientific evaluation), using both has been good to me.

Since using both products faithfully, fuel issues in my motor have been reduced to zero, and I had a lot of fuel related motor problems when I first bought my boat. It took awhile to get her cleaned out, but the motor has never run better than it does now, so my intent is to keep up what I'm doing.

Ringfree is supposedly designed to reduce carbon fouling in the cylinders. The last time I was at the parts counter at TriState Marine, they had a blown piston there sitting on the counter. The rings had become so fouled with carbon that they seized and scored the cylinder walls until the piston finally self-destructed.

Graphic evidence of why Yamaha recommends Ringfree in all of their motors, 2-stroke and 4.
The addition of StarTron and StaBil was my idea.

Not everyone agrees, but I'm sticking with what has gotten me good results this far. :wink:

I tried cleaning a VST filter with solvents and had no luck. I took the filter into the kitchen and it came clean with a light brushing of soap and hot water.

My experience with Ring Free has been that it is extremely effective at keeping the motor clean; a very worthwhile additive.

Back