washdown/baitwell pump

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harpoon

Reaction score
I've been through 6 pumps in the past 2 seasons. Both diaphragm and centrifugal. Mostly I use the pump intermittently to keep macs, herring, lobster alive. In some cases the pumps don't last more than 1 month before they fail to operate.

I'm using $200.00 pumps not the cheapest on the shelf.

West Marine has been great they simply credit me for another. They've commented that the stuff is all "made in China" , but I don't get it ! I'll need to install another one this evening prior to tuna wishing in the morning. Getting to be a real pain.

Can anybody suggest a pump that will last a couple seasons ?

14- years on a Johnson brand combo pressure/livewell pump and even then ... just the pressure switch went out and was replaced.

Tip, go OVERSIZE on the wiring, the cheap motors can't take the heat and need all overload protection they can get. Remember to count the length of the run BOTH ways, so if the pump is 12' from the source of power, you'd need to factor the amp load for a 24' run ... even though there is a separate lead going to and fro ...

Thanks Dale. It is the factory wiring which served several pumps for years of service when I used the boat far more. The wiring is very heavy.

PHil

Well lets start with Livewell / Washdown pump's.

1st Livewell pumps do NOT make good washdown pumps and washdown pumps do not make good livewell pumps.

I use the dual port Rule livewell pumps and then the Jabsco Par series hooked to the bottom port of the Rule as the washdown.

If your using "Sureflow aka NeverFlow" then there is your problem.

Back