What Are Your Thoughts?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windknotnc

Reaction score
I am looking at this custom Carolina boat built with frame and plank construction in the mid 80's. I has a full keel with a pintled rudder, single engine turbo charged 4 cylinder Cummins Diesel, and is about 28' long. I know nothing about inboard engines and this type boat. It has been in storage for about 7 yrs but the hull is in great shape. The engine needs to be gone through although it has only 1200 hrs on it. It needs new tanks, wiring, electronics and lots of tlc. Best information I can get says it cruises at about 20kts. Anyone ever seen a hull this size and setup anywhere? Obviously I would need to sell my 23DVCC to be able to get this boat and set it up for offshore fishing. Any words of wisdom from those who have owned single inboard boats?

Attachments

• 28' Michael Scott Resized.jpg
    28' Michael Scott Resized.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 424
A lot of the Carolina built charter boats have singe diesel inboards. That's not necessarily an issue. But if the engine has been sitting seven years you should budget for a new engine. It's very hard on engines to sit. Especially if it was not specifically prepared for long term storage.

You should also find out why the boat has been sitting seven years.

If it need new tanks, wiring etc. you will be spending a LOT of money. Are you planning to do it yourself? If so do you have the experience to do it right? If you plan to hire it done the project will probably be cost prohibitive.

And what will you have when its done? A boat with no pedigree, that you hope will perform like you want it to. And even if you do the work yourself, you should plan to keep the boat a long time. You will probably never recover the money you spend if/when you decide to sell the boat.

Does it sound like I am trying to rain on your parade? :>) I'm a marine surveyor and have seen a number of project boats that never made it to the water. They almost never turn out like the owner hopes they will. Always over budget and over schedule.

Back