What size Yeti for 23SE?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captnick

Reaction score
I'm considering a Yeti cooler to be used as a fish box on the aft deck of new 23 SE for fluke, sea bass ect. not striped bass. I've noticed some of you SE owners are using the Yetis. The 105 quart is 30 7/8 inches long and might fit between two rear seats. If I mount it in the bow I might choose the 75 quart at 33 1/2 inches. I would use the tie down kit instead of corner chocks so I can take coolers out and not trip over chocks. What size Yetis do you guys find work best?

I use a 65 quart, it's a RTIC but same size as a Yeti. I had the same thought of putting it between the aft jumpseats but noticed it "got in the way" with my motor trimmed up and the hoses not having enough room to move. I simply put it behind the live well, did not attached it; the weight of the cooler alone has always kept it in place. As a seat, it really can't be used behind the live well since mine has rocket launchers that really does not allow folks to sit on the cooler while underway, the rocket launchers doesn't allow enough room unless you want to hit your head.

The downside, the cooler really takes up a lot of room in the cockpit.

If you ask me, try to find a Tundra 210, it is more square than rectangular, and holds a lot of fish. Leaves room to walk around and fish.
Here is mine on my 2320
Jowxo60.jpg

Whatever cooler I choose I think it will get in the way if I put it on aft deck of the SE. The Tundra does look like a good fit for the 2320 though. There's just not enough room back there in the SE for fishing with the cooler too. Forward of the console seat up at the bow with a no skid mat under it is probably the best place. It could double as seat/fishbox. I'm getting a model with the bow wide open with no storage compartment. I don't like the idea of drilling holes in the wooden deck to allow for tie down straps even of the holes are sealed properly.

I removed the seat on the front of the console. Then I cut the 2 middle bolts off, leaving the outside 2. I bought a 125 quart Yeti and and added 2 stainless Bimini clips to the backside of the lid. I put the seat bolts through the clips then used washers and lock nuts to fasten it down. Now I have more storage or more room for extra ice or more fish. Still don’t understand why the front of the console isn’t flat and comes with a cooler seat in the first place.

Happy Dawg":17atxxpg said:
I removed the seat on the front of the console. Then I cut the 2 middle bolts off, leaving the outside 2. I bought a 125 quart Yeti and and added 2 stainless Bimini clips to the backside of the lid. I put the seat bolts through the clips then used washers and lock nuts to fasten it down. Now I have more storage or more room for extra ice or more fish. Still don’t understand why the front of the console isn’t flat and comes with a cooler seat in the first place.
Thanks for the explanation. Not sure what Bimini clips are, but I get the general idea. I agree a cooler with a seat would be ideal. It would make the most of the space. I know I'm going to love the boat when I get it but there are a couple of things Parker could have done to make it better. Loose the rod holder/cup holder combos-go back to rod holders, the forward cooler w/seat and a tackle storage box cut into the starboard side of the console, anchor chocks on bow or pulpit and a hard top available for the T-top. I guess all I want would make the cost of boat higher and all can be added to suit you. I need to go fishin and quit bitchin.

Put it in front of the console on deck. No need to secure it. The non-slip on the bottom of the cooler and the weight keeps it in place. I've been doing this for two years, both inshore and offshore in my 23DV with zero movement of the cooler.

Meant to add that I originally intended to secure it with tie downs. Even bought the kit. Never got around to it and was quickly apparent that it wasn't necessary.

Why so much overkill for a cooler that will only be used to hold a days caught fish. If you are going to be out for a week, then a Yeti makes sense.

emanonmac":a3olinz9 said:
Why so much overkill for a cooler that will only be used to hold a days caught fish. If you are going to be out for a week, then a Yeti makes sense.
Good point. Besides that my fluke and Black Sea Bass stay lively in the 30 gallon bait well until bled on the way home and an Igloo cooler works fine up in the bow.

I think the prices of some of these high tech coolers is crazy. Noway am I going to spend 4-5 hundred on a cooler. Very happy with my Coleman 165 qt cooler from BJ's for 69 bucks. Cooler is long enough to stack 3-4 50-60 lb yellow fins :mrgreen:

Happy Dawg":s5dm4ron said:

Happy Dawg, was this on a newer style 23se? Mine is a 2014 with the stupid console seat that's fixed in place and doesn't have much room under it. I want to lose that seat and put a RTIC there, but can't figure out a way to remove it without cutting fiberglass. What am I missing?

I have the forward box on mine and love it. plenty of room for fish, and I do a fair amount of plugging which is nice to do from an elevated position.

Lucky John":s5dm4ron said:
I think the prices of some of these high tech coolers is crazy. Noway am I going to spend 4-5 hundred on a cooler. Very happy with my Coleman 165 qt cooler from BJ's for 69 bucks. Cooler is long enough to stack 3-4 50-60 lb yellow fins :mrgreen:

To me its the longevity of the rotomold coolers that sold me. I was always replacing handles and lids on the standard marine coolers, maybe I'm just too rough on them! The ice keeping is nice on my RTIC's, but more an ancillary benefit than the main thing, at least here in the north east. RTIC always has some sort of deal making them not all that more expensive then the marine coolers...

Personally I would not have a Yeti product on my boat, in my home, or on my property even if free.....

johnkn":rg629fmb said:
Personally I would not have a Yeti product on my boat, in my home, or on my property even if free.....

Why? Seems somewhat silly to me .

The Yeti was the only brand that fit my footprint requirements. It is OK. I liked the IcyTek that I had on my 2320 better.

This one is a 210 chest. Usual load is 140# ice and all the food/drinks. Ice gets transported to an aft cooler as needed for fish.

FWIW these big coolers need to go forward. Doing so is a big plus for handling/keeps the bow down.

I use a cheaper cooler like Lucky John's lashed to the deck amidship behind the leaning post and then there is also a built in 150qt in the transom that I normally carry buckets of bait and lightweight gear.

Attachments

• img_0466_3086e236016ffa73930e0ce6f0bcae90fc42dabb.jpg
    img_0466_3086e236016ffa73930e0ce6f0bcae90fc42dabb.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 257
  • img_0512_ec390b7e981566e0c7fa211dcb8d8e019d94bd00.jpg
    img_0512_ec390b7e981566e0c7fa211dcb8d8e019d94bd00.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 250
Back