Which 2520 for the West Coast of Florida?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E.Peterson

Reaction score
I really like the 2520 Pilothouse and thought the XLD would be best for offshore fishing in my area. The downside is that it is difficult to find a used deep vee model for sale, and the fact that it has twins would also increase the maintenance and fuel costs. I do like that it would ride better in rougher water. I currently have a 20.5' walkaround cuddy by another manufacturer. I bought the boat new and have used it since '99 to fish inshore and offshore in the Tampa/Clearwater FL. area. The boat has a 19 degree hull and does well in 2-3 foot seas. I typically don't fish in anything over 2-3ft seas if possible, but there are times that the weather kicks up and the seas can get rougher. The seas are choppier and the waves tend to be closer together on this coast versus the East coast where there would be more of a period between them.
My question is directed towards the Paker owners who are in this area or have experience in these types of condtions. I am currently looking at a 2004 2520XL which is the 16degree hull. Would this boat do well in my area, or would I have to go with the XLD deep vee model? Keep in mind that I have a walkaround now and am familiar with the ride of a forward seating type of boat. I do not expect to blast through waves at wide open throttle but I don't want to have to run at 15mph in 3ft seas either. My current boat is much smaller than the 25ft Paker I am looking at. I can cruise at around 30mph now in just about anything under 3ft and the boat will top out in the very low 40's. I don't want to buy a boat that will not work well in my area. A sea trial does not always tell you what you need to know in one trip. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

We have a new Parker 2520 XLD model in stock now with twin Yamaha F150's at a used price if you are interested please give us a call 727-347-9999. We would also be glad to answer any questions you may have on the difference of the 2520XL & 2520XLD.

We typically do not allow commercial advertising... however, the question was asked and answered, so you have to respect that.

However... I will ask the admin to review and comment.

I have been down there to look at the 2520XLD you have for sale with my family. It is a great boat but I am not sure this is the best time to be making that kind of investment, especially with knowing I would need to add extra seating and bolsters as well as a trailer and electronics. The boat I am looking at now is less than half the price and includes a trailer and electronics. Of course it is older and is the 16 degree hull with a single engine. I do like the idea of having a new boat with the warranty but I will likely have to go with a used boat for the time being. If you come across a used 2520, please let me know.
The reason I posted this topic was to get some feedback from actual owners and people that could give some advice from their own experiences with these two hull designs. I do understand a lot of people will say the boats pound in rough seas. I expect that from any walkaround or pilothouse because of where you are positioned in the boat. My question is whether or not the modified vee will be suitable for 2-3ft seas that I would typically be fishing in off of the Clearwater area? Is the deep vee a must for offshore fishing?

For what you are looking for especially anything with 2-3' seas the deep vee is a must. No way around that. The shallower draft will not handle the waves as well and will be a much more rough ride.

Megabyte":1q13sl4b said:
We typically do not allow commercial advertising... however, the question was asked and answered, so you have to respect that.

I apologize this customer was just in my area and I figured by being a Parker dealer that if they had further questions or wanted a sea trial that I could possibly set something up for them. I was not trying to advertise only to put our source out there. I appreciate no advertising and can remove my comment if necessary.

There have been many, many threads here comparing the MV versus the DV hull in the 25 sport cabins.
Try the search tool, or simply browse the pages going back. There are strong opinions either way.

Personally, I own one of the older 14 degree MVSC hulls (no longer produced) and use it in the Chesapeake Bay in short, tight chop.
Not sure what 2 to 3's are like on the west coast of FL though.

If you are 'pounding', you are driving her too fast and are not trimmed properly.
A proper set of tabs and good piloting skills will make these boats a pleasure to own.

These boats are 9' 6" abeam and are not meant to be driven like a Contender or a SeaVee.
If your goal is to go 'fast' in 2 to 3's, you are looking at the wrong boat.
However... if you don't mind slowing down a bit to 18 - 20 kts, the huge cockpit will more than make up for the lack of speed.

Good luck!

CentralMarineService":2gfbqbo5 said:
Megabyte":2gfbqbo5 said:

I apologize this customer was just in my area and I figured by being a Parker dealer that if they had further questions or wanted a sea trial that I could possibly set something up for them. I was not trying to advertise only to put our source out there. I appreciate no advertising and can remove my comment if necessary.

I believe you are good, but I will defer to the admin as the final word.
Thanks for helping the OP out.

I have learned about the difference of the different Parker hulls somewhat inadvertently, so I don't have to defend my choice in order to defend my boat knowledge studleyness, so let me give you what I learned for the tuition I paid.

I ran across a rather well off individual I had done some work for and found out he had a 2001 2520 Sc that he did not use much. It was on a lift behind his house here in NE Florida. I ended up buying it for a very reasonable price. (This is the part where I got my education). He said it had been on the lift for a year, ran great and told me stories about going 50 miles out of St. Augustine to the drop off and back home 20 miles South on the ICW using about a cup and a half of gasoline. Something like that that I blew off as BS.

It had (has) a 5.7 Volvo/Penta DuoProp (Fuel Injected 350ci Chevy) with only 150 total hours on the Hobbs! Well, not related to your question, it turned out it had sat on the lift for over 4 years. Without being flushed. Or ran. Six months and $8k later I got all of the bugs out of it, not to mention corrosion seals and dry rot, and after running it hard up and down the Intercoastal for a month, was confident enough to take it out the inlet. Happened to be a little rough that day (3-4' ).

I had to back way off to keep from losing my fillings. I'd been in some rough riding boats, but you could tell this one pounded more, and you knew it was partially because of how it was built like a tank with no "give" in the hull to soften the jarring impact. I really wasn't expecting that.

So I started researching the boat (yea, I know. A little late) and found there were two different hull configurations, deep V and Modified V. I had always thought of Parkers as a deep water boat, didn't know there was this option. So I called the factory, gave them my # and confirmed that mine was indeed a Modified V hull.

Now concerned about my investment (Working Class Do Without type), I asked the older gentleman on the phone if I had bought a Bay Boat. After a moment of silence (I may have heard something like sizzling bacon for a second), he said "You live in Florida, right"? Yep. "Next time you have a Hurricane, go offshore, strap yourself to my boat, and when you come to, you'll be floating!" OK, good enough!

So the MV hull pounds. More than most, but that's what it's built to do. Every design choice you make comes with a compromise. The choices you make are most apparent on boats and airplanes. In the words of Bob Dylan, " You give something up for everything you gain. Every ounce of pleasure got a drop of pain. Pay for your ticket and don't complain." (Sylvio, if you care)

In return for having to slow down in the rough, my boat will cruise at 25 MPH on 2.5 GPH. That's right, 10 MPG. Yea, I know. I can hear the old salts screaming BS from here, and I haven't even hit the return yet. But I swear it's consistently within spitting distance of that depending on load and seas.

So I've gotten used to it. Buck up and learn to enjoy it. I know it ain't gonna' break, it WILL get me home, and it thins out the guys that will go out anytime to the real fishermen. It's a strong boat. Be a strong man. And it helps if you wear a cup.

E.Peterson,
I live just south of the Sunshine Skyway and own a Parker 2520 MV that is 14 a degree hull. In 3 foot seas in the gulf you will run at 15 mph! You can bury the trim tabs, pour the coal to it and run Faster and smoother . Look at the hull and you will notice that the bow is a deep V with a steep rake angle that will cut the waves much like a sailboat, but, like a sailboat it needs to be in the water. The boat is not as rough riding as it sounds, since you are just on the other side of the hull from the water you do hear the pounding more than you feel it. Have gone out of Egmont on days where the bay was rougher than offshore due to the distance between the waves, have also been caught in 4-5 and took a pounding but knew my Parker would make it home! Put rain-X on the windows and keep going. The thing I really like with the 14 degree is I can still fish the flats, it is also more stable offshore with less roll. If you have to pull in a big one the boat doesn’t care if two of you are on the same side gunnel. For a such big boat it planes' very quick with a 225hp. I would say, if all you want to do is go offshore, get the deep V. If you also want to reach some of our abundant flats and hit the beach, research the MV a little further. Hope this helps. Jim

Greetings:

I have operated a 1999 2520MV with twin 150 Yammies in the Gulf out of Panama City for the past 11 years. I agree with a lot of what's been said earlier in this thread; when the wave action gets big (especially when combined with a swell of the right period), you are done driving a planning hull (unless you love being pounded). However, I can attest to the value of slowing down, trimming the bow down and keeping dry while still doing 15kts. I'm finding, however, that age (mine, not the boat's) has become a consideration. At 60, a day on rough seas had no lingering effects on my bod; at 70, after a day on rough seas, I feel like I went a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson. That said, if I had it to do over, I would buy a 2520 with a deep vee.

Regards,

Dan

I have an older 2520 MV with a single Yamaha 225. Another question to ask yourself is what kind of fishing are you going to do? If all you intend to do is troll, then a deep V will be okay, but if you bottom fish I recommend the mod V for stability while at anchor. A set of trim tabs keep the bow down for us and we can still do 15-20 in anything we fish in.

I don't have a Parker, but I have been in the Gulf on both a 25MV and a 21SC. Both ran just fine in our chop. The 21 has the 21 degree deadrise. I didn't feel that it was tippy at all. If you are looking at a 25, my $.02 is that you are looking at one difference. A single 250 vs twins on the DV.

One of the most exagerated statements I hear on this website is that the DV model is considered a "tipsy" hull, or one that will rock a lot.

This is simply NOT TRUE. A 21 degree deadrise is hardly "deep". When you get to the deadrise of a Regulator, which is 24 degrees, that is Deep, but 21 degrees is fairly moderate.

Agree with John, the Parker deep vee is not tipsy at all.

Actually wish mine was a little deeper. But like others have said, that's not a Parker.

Buy the deep vee and you won't be disappointed, the fuel savings for the MV are negligible.

Also remember that the 2520 hull is 9' 6" wide.
Most of the DV CC's out there are much narrower abeam.
The wider beam gives greater stability at rest.

Back