Which boat to buy: 2820 XLD or 2520 XLD

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sydngoose

Reaction score
Good morning. I find myself with a unique "dilemma". I am really conflicted on which Parker sport cabin to buy next. We sold our 2120 because we outgrew it. I had my heart set on a 2820 …now I'm wondering if a deepV 2520 w/ twin 200's or 225 would be better for our lifestyle. Here's where I am w/ my thought process, and I value your input. Please advise on what you all think

2820 PROS

*SIZE! I believe I can fish 6 (myself included) bottom fishing out at the ledge (60 mile run up to 70 miles: one way).
Space would NOT be a limiting factor, fuel would not be a limiting factor.

*Safety: I fish out of Jacksonville, Fl and the Atlantic Ocean here has tight wave intervals that change sometimes hourly. Futhermore, there are summer time afternoon storms that pick up seemingly out of nowhere and there can be 40 knt winds and 4-5 foot seas coming in sometimes.

* I will never outgrow this boat. I DO plan on opening an LLC and charter this next boat of mine (bottom fishing ledge trips). Also, we are pregnant with our 3rd child (due November 1) and we are family who spend a lot of time boating / fishing together.

Finally, the 2820 is just a BADAXX boat: huge and quite a profile on the water. My heart skips a beat when I think about running this dream boat…

CONS:

*towing is NOT an option as I drive a 2014 F150 Platinum 4X4 3.5 ecoboost super crew w/ the 3.55 rear axle. Tow capacity is about 9,900 pounds. So, the 2820 would be wet slipped 1 mile from my house at the Florida Yacht Club: $210 / month wet slip (members only). Very secure, no theft issues, complimentary ice, cleaning stations, swimming pools, restaurants, showers, gym, etc.. Amazing organization that we are part of whether we wet slip the next Parker or not… but the cost of $210 / month would be in addition to our membership dues.

*bottom paint/ scraping with the 2820: wet slipping would require every other month scraping. I could do it myself, or pay a local diver $60/ scrape ($360/ year). I would do a haul out once a year for bottom inspection, servicing the yamahas and touch up bottom paint AND renew bottom paint probably every other year

* Wet slipped at the FYC is a 26 mile run via the St. Johns River to inlet. This adds about 2 hours and 20 minutes total to our fishing days and more fuel cost as it's an extra 52 miles on any given fishing day

*the fuel: If I bought the 2820, I would be using marina fuel at average $1 more/ gallon that local fueling stations w/ 89 octane ethanol fuel: add the extra $1/ gallon to the extra 52 mile run and the cost adds up
Futhermore on fuel: the 2820 I plan to get 1.5 nmpg longterm w/ twin 4stroke Yamaha 250's or eventually repower w/ twin Suzuki 300's

*insurance would be more if the boat is wet slipped at the marina vs in the barn in my back yard.

*boat will always be in the water: increasing the potential of a catastrophic failure, water intrusion, sinking in the slip (very UNlikely, but must be considered).

2520 PROS

*trailerable: I could keep her in my barn (yes, the barn that I had built for our 2120 that we sold)..it's 20X60 so the barn would easily accommodate the 2520. Futhermore, there are times that we would like to trailer to S. Florida OR west coast of florida: not often, but it would be nice to at least have this option. I would still have access to complimentary Ice, etc from the club, but I would just have to load it from the ground up over the trailer into the ice hold.

*Fuel costs: She would sit on a trailer, so I would pay at the fueling stations near our home (historically $1/ gallon cheaper than marina fuel) ethanol free 89 octane

*no bottom paint, no bottom scraping

*no wet slip fees to pay

*trailer to the inlet 20 miles by land when we fish. This shaves the 52 miles off the day trip (compared to the 2820), and saves about an hour difference total (trailering time compared to running time of the 2820 on her own hard bottom to the inlet).

*running costs: Id expect 2.0 nmpg w/ twin 200's or 225's on the deep v 21 degree 2520. So, better fuel economy with the average fishing trip from the inlet to the fishing grounds and back: 160 miles total.

*Insurance would be cheaper on a trailer in my yard in the barn vs. 2820 wet slipped at the Marina.

CONS:
Space: would I outgrow this boat eventually and buy the 2820 after all ???(do NOT want to consider buying another Parker in the next 15 years). The next boat we buy NEEDS to satisfy our needs for the next 15 years.

*6 Pack OUPV charter: Again, how many anglers on the 2520 deep V can I accommodate? realistically 4 I believe plus myself as the Captain. So, that will cut into profits and even covering expenses.

Real world numbers on a day of fishing on both boats:
2820: 200 miles roundtrip at 1.5nmpg fishing 5 guys and myself (non charter, recreational fishing)
total fuel costs: $533 divided by 4 guys fishing w/ me: $106/ each

2520: 150 miles roundtrip at 2.0nmpg fishing 4 guys and myself (non charter, recreational fishing)
total fuel costs: $240 divided by 3 guys fishing w/ me: $80/ each

Please help me fellas as I DO need to make a decision w/ in the next 48 hours. Insight please, because I am conflicted!

Sydngoose, I will leave the fishing side of it to others as unfortunately I consider myself a novice in that area (working in it :lol: ). When I lived in Wilmington I had a cabin boat wet slipped after selling a previous dry rack boat. You seem to have a good handle on the additional cost etc...that the wet slip will entail. In general, year round wet slipping is really hard on your boat. It's not just the bottom, engine maintenance that will eat you up, it's all the other parts of the boat that will take a beating from the sun and salt air. From a purely practical (lol, can't believe I'm saying that word related to boats) you would be much better off IMO with the 2520 XLD. In the barn out of the weather, in your back yard easily ably to work on it in the evenings, towable for day trip advantage and west coast, lastly the longevity if keeping it a long time. You will have a little extra trailer maintenance cost constantly dipping in salt water. Go aluminum and torsion bars vs springs. Wish I had both of those. Good luck with this decesion, I'm a little jealous :D

Hey goose sell the ford buy a dodge with a cummins and the 2820 on a trailer. It would be cheaper than keeping the boat in the marina and you would save time and fuel as well.

IMHO, the new 200's vs 225's would be the way to go on the 2520.

Almost all of your pros and cons are money related, ultimately only you know which will be the right fit for you. The number one biggest take-away for me was another child on the way (congrats) and how that impacts finances and free time.

Best of luck, either way you'll have a winner.

johnkn":xejwow7l said:
IMHO, the new 200's vs 225's would be the way to go on the 2520.

Almost all of your pros and cons are money related, ultimately only you know which will be the right fit for you. The number one biggest take-away for me was another child on the way (congrats) and how that impacts finances and free time.

Best of luck, either way you'll have a winner.

Kind of the way I was thinking.

pacificpunisher":2atjamob said:
Hey goose sell the ford buy a dodge with a cummins and the 2820 on a trailer. It would be cheaper than keeping the boat in the marina and you would save time and fuel as well.

^^^^

All of you who gave me input, I thank you sincerely. I am persuaded to buy the 2820 for all the stated reasons and more. I plan to keep her wet slipped at the FYC for all this year and into Spring 2017. That will give me a window of 8-10 months to work out the tow vehicle acquisition and trailer purchase. This all seems reasonable.

Being new to the Parker family I can definitely say I can fish 4 comfortable on my 2320, if anchored and bottom fishing I could fish 5 or 6. I did look at an older 2520xld before I purchased the 2320 and I don't see why you couldn't fish 5 or 6 on a 2520.

Had 2 2520 Parkersburg both were great the second one was a little under powered with a 250 single exspeacily in reverse,I'm sure th twin 2520 would be good but as a 2nd year owner of a 2012 2820 there is no comparison speed efficiency and room on the platform is spacious,this boat flys and is dry the cabin is the same but gas is a 275 gallon tank and will get you there and back....Hope this helps your decision as for the towing Duramax or any 2500-3500 will do..

Thanks fellas - slammer I did buy the 28 PH in the 2830 variety. It's the extended cabin 2820 w full galley and dinette, enclosed head and berth therefor a 2830.
She just arrived from NY professionally shipped on Wednesday this past week.
My 2830 is a 2002 w the only three fuel cell set up that Parker made- this one was custom ordered by the previous and only owner before me. It's a main 70 in the middle of the cockpit with (2) 105 gallon saddles on either side of the main- again all contained to the cockpit - 280 gallon fuel capacity- should give me nearly a 500 mile range.
LOVE this boat- now for electronics updating and livewell set up!

sydngoose":3e1kpsp8 said:
My 2830 is a 2002 w the only three fuel cell set up that Parker made

Mine is the only known 2520 with three tanks.
If there is another, we don't know of it.

126 gal main and two 46 gal wing tanks.
Note the six deck hatches in the attached photos.

Honestly, someday I'm gonna cut the deck and remove those wing tanks.
218 gals is way too much weight for a single 225 OX66 and I have not used those wing tanks since 2004. :)

Attachments

• DSCN0016.jpg
    DSCN0016.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_1675.jpg
    IMG_1675.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 341
MB: are those solar fans closest to your transom in the deck to ventilate the beneath deck area specifically fuel cells? If so, does rain water get through those fans/vents at all or moisture/ humidity? Or is it water tight?

sydngoose":1t5wvezu said:
MB: are those solar fans closest to your transom in the deck to ventilate the beneath deck area specifically fuel cells? If so, does rain water get through those fans/vents at all or moisture/ humidity? Or is it water tight?

The fans were installed into deck hatches at the transom area that are sealed by o-rings and teflon lube.
Those two hatches are over the top of the rear of the wing tanks.
The fans are set on 'exhaust', and draw air from the forward deck hatch over the mid-ship bilge (which I leave open while in the slip).
The resulting airflow ventilates the interstitial space over and around the fuel tanks.

The solar fans are designed not to allow rain water into the space below.
Many times you will see these fans installed into the Bomar hatches of sailboats to ventilate their under deck space.

Mine are in place only while the boat is in her slip.
I remove them and install blank deck plates when underway.

Back