Why Not Diesel Parkers?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishAC

Reaction score
i dont know---my parker diesel with a yanmar 315 still runs very nicely, but we HAVE to live by, slow and steady wins the race...that puppy is economic as ever too! 14 hour tuna trips we average 2.2mpg

I know of no problems with any of these motors like that situation !
Buy I know of MANY with the 315 with more than 5000 hrs and NO problems!
Also,
My 28 downeast weighs more than 11000 lbs dry weight, about 1/2 what my 2320 weighs, and I burn 1/2 the amount of diesel fuel compared to gas in the parker with the same amount of use !

I know very little about diesels other than they are known for the their longevity and torque. Howeever from speaking with a charter boat capt about a boat he was going to have built I will say that he was not a fan of the Yanmars at all. I asked him if he was going with twin yanmars as I have heard they were light, fast and fuel efficient and he said that yanmars are "throw-away" diesels and not made to last like a traditional diesel. He claimed they were not good to overhaul, they turn up too many rpms for a diesel, and were just no heavy duty like othe diesels. He was going to not go with the standard Yanmars and go with a pair of Cummins or Cats

If I had a boat over 30' that I couldnt get on a trailer and put on a ton of hours I still think I would prefer a big single diesel to twin outboards though. The clean transom and economy that a big single diesel gives is just too hard to beat and pass up. I would guess that a big single diesel would be about the same cost as twin outboards initially and would save money with the diesel over the long haul. Of course I am just guessing and I personally will NEVER have another boat I cannot put on a trailer again!

Just found out that the owner of my boatyard (a HUGE sailboat racer guy) just bought a 29 Robbins with a single na 3208 Cat in her belly.
I need to beg a ride sometime soon. 8)

There is a HUGE difference between a LOW compression diesel that'll give 10,000 hours @ 18 knot cruise and a HIGH compression diesel that'll be a throw-a-way, but provide a 22-knot+ cruise ...

DaleH":1leinj7x said:
There is a HUGE difference between a LOW compression diesel that'll give 10,000 hours @ 18 knot cruise and a HIGH compression diesel that'll be a throw-a-way, but provide a 22-knot+ cruise ...

All diesels are relativly high compression (around 16.5 to1). The difference between the 315 HP Yanmars and comparable Cat, Cummins, etc. is the Yanmar is designed to develop it's power at about 1,000 rpm higher than the others. Running at higher speed with less weight and strength is certainly going to shorten the life. It's all about tradeoffs.

Back