Windlass: changing your mind...........

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Agreement":3h04m9pg said:
grouperjim":3h04m9pg said:
oh, shut up you. lets go fishing tomorrow (Fri). wx=SE 5-10, temps in the seventies. give you a call.

Rub it in you two, looking at a balmy high of 48 tomorrow, partly sunny. All of 45 for today. :p

Ha, try a new years day dive in 41 degree water, with 20-something degree air temps. ice was forming on the drysuits and hoses were freezing together. :shock:

be careful what you wish for.......it is a double edged sword..........i'll trade you some skin CA for some frostbite. come to think of it, that is how some of them get treated.......frozen with liquid nitrogen. maybe i should just move up north for health reasons.......that just doesn't sound right. :shock:

grouperjim, excellent job! How did you match-up the non-skid surface on the bow pulpit? I have a few spots in the cockpit (where I removed the splash guard on my 2120 PH) that I want to fix. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Sara F":3447msu5 said:
.................How did you match-up the non-skid surface on the bow pulpit?

Shoot unthinned Parker gelcoat through a Prevail sprayer ($4 Home Depot). It will spit a matching texture. You can add a little sanding aid to the gelcoat prior to shooting to eliminate the tackiness, and or also spray/overcoat it with some mold release about 15 minutes after shooting which will isolate the gelcoat from the air for a non tacky result..........just wipe off the mold release with a damp towel after 3-4 hrs.

Attachments

• Prevail.jpg
    Prevail.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 597
Jim that is a great job you did there.I have mine on the pulpit and I'm constantly pulling the rode back about 1/2 way up otherwise it will jam up.I have it's operation down pat,but it becomes a PITA when you are trying to make a fst re-drop.
You did a perfect job of the glass repair,I really admire that,you even got the non-skid to look perfect.I had a repair done last winter by Cecil Marine and they did a horrible job.The whole area is pink and does not match the patch,an forget about asking if they could have matched the non-skid.
I wish you lived up this way,I'd pay you to re-finish mine the right way!

LJ:

anyone can do the non skid retexture. there is not much skill involved at all.

if you can use blue painters tape to mask off the area, pour unmixed and unthinned gelcoat into a bottle and push a button, then you too can do it.

the great thing about gelcoat is that it is cosmetic and if you screw up, put a heat lamp on it to make cure faster and sand it off (with a a small sanding block) and try again.....no harm no foul.

Showed the Otherline how to do it once, and now he is an "expert" as well. just don't be afraid to try it.

Megabyte":30coml3b said:
Jim, Do you apply the non-skid material with a salt shaker?

No. The Prevail sprayer will spit straight gelcoat that matches the nonskid perfectly. When I say straight gelcoat, I mean with the appropriate amount of hardner and sanding aid but no thinner like Styrene. If you thin it at all, the sprayer will spit smaller globs. At some point, if thinned properly the sprayer eventually will spray a fine atomized mist for finish-type work.

The factory nonskid (at least for boats of my era) is pure gelcoat.....small globs of gelcoat.......no sand or other matl added.

Megabyte":1iblwxa4 said:
Jim, Do you apply the non-skid material with a salt shaker?

I mixed the non skid material with the gel coat mix. I rolled mine on.

The Fiberglass guy told me that, as an alternative, you can use a salt shaker to sprinkle the non skid sand on as soon as possible after rolling on the gelcoat.

Personally, if I had to do it all over again and was willing to take the time to tape off more area, I would shoot it on with Jim's Prevail sprayer. Looks much more like factory.

I have a bunch of leftover non skid material left. If you want it, PM me and I will ship it to you.

Lucky John":1f3p18iy said:
I had a repair done last winter by Cecil Marine and they did a horrible job. The whole area is pink and does not match the patch,an forget about asking if they could have matched the non-skid.

Are they, by chance, a Grady dealer?
I have always thought that the Grady gelcoat had a pink cast to it.

No they are a big Parker dealer down in Williamstown,NJ
When I got the boat back I had called an told them about it.Joe told me to give it a wipe with some acetone,it helped a wee bit,but it's still pink.Maybe one day if I find a good gel-coat guy I will have it re-repaired.

What a great job, I still have this project to look forward to. I can only hope it comes out as good as yours. I will be using your pictures and ideas to get it done right. Thanks for a great post!

Back