windlass installation help

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt.Paul

Reaction score
Hi, I've just purchased a Powerwinch Sportfish 450 windlass for my 1993 2520 dv pilot parker. Has anybody installed a windlass on their Parker that could offer how not to install it? I'm the type of guy that has to do things twice to get it done correctly and I can't take the chance on making a mistake with this task. My Parker does have a pulpit.

thank you

If you use the search tool to query the Projects section, you should be able to find what you are looking for, complete with photos.
I don't have a windlass on my boat, but if your hawse pipe is in the same location as mine (directly aft of the pulpit), that should be a good spot to mount your windlass and feed your rode directly into the chain well.

One good tip that has been covered is the use of 8-plait rope paired with at least 20' of chain.
It will make using your windlass a much more enjoyable experience.

Thank you Capt.Kevin BTW how do you attach images I tried but my image was to large.

Capt.Paul":2z2ud677 said:
how do you attach images I tried but my image was to large.

If attaching images, they need to be resized first.
Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27

Or, you can host your images on any site that allows photo libraries, and link to them using 'image' tags.
Follow Toms tutorial and you should be good-to-go. 8)

Capt. Paul,
Not to break em. But, I have a 450 on my 21 PH. Nothing but trouble. Had to go back to the service center three times right out of the box. Now when I hit the up switch the rode comes in but as soon as I release the switch the rode goes back out. Oh, also now the unit won't free fall. I have to hold down the switch. Total piece of crap. The unit is three years old. If you haven't installed it do yourself a favor and take it back and buy another make.

I've mounted my new Windlass Powerwinch free fall 450 correctly just to find out it doesn't work. The wiring is correct and the motor turns on but the gypsum doesn't spin. I called out my local service location and he advise me to get my money back! nothing but trouble!~ I purchased the unit form Wholesale Marine and they made good! They sent out a UPS pickup on there dime and I recieve credit towards a Lewmar Pro-Fish 700 at a great price.

caution on these windlass from Powerwinch! the Lewmar is excellent! :p

Capt. Paul,
Sorry you had to go through the installation just to find out what a piece of junk the 450 is. I just got mine back from the service center. $ 177.00 in repairs. I spoke to Powerwinch in Colorado. No help. I don't know how they can continue to sell this unit. I thought I was talking to a politician. Next time it goes down it's Lewmar for me.

Now that you have the Lewmar, don't ignore Kevin's advice.

Don't use anything but 8 plait. You WILL regret it.

Back