Winter and E10 Gasoline

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Reaction score
To All Members

This was in the Boat US news letter this month and with winter coming I thought this article may be useful to many boaters/members not aware of the perils of E10 Gasoline during storage if not properly treated.

Good Luck All
Catfish

Recommendations on Storing Ethanol-Enhanced Gasoline
By Bob Adriance, Editor, Seaworthy Damage Avoidance Newsletter

For better or for worse, a shotgun wedding has been taking place between boat owners and ethanol-enhanced gasoline. Everyone is wearing black. Now, many months into the honeymoon, it seems that at least some of the warnings of matrimonial acrimony may have been premature.

The key word is some. The fiasco with deteriorating fiberglass tanks (Seaworthy January and April 2006) has certainly been painful for owners of many Bertrams, Hatterases, and other, typically high-end, boats. Technical Services has documented over 70 reports of failures, including leaking tanks and wrecked engines, from both coasts and Hawaii. In all cases, tanks had to be replaced.

But what about the widespread reports of clogged filters that boat owners on Long Island Sound experienced when ethanol was introduced there two years ago? Why does there appear to have been fewer complaints of clogged filters when ethanol began arriving last spring at pumps throughout much of the rest of the country?

John McKnight at the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) speculates the answer has to do with preparation: Boat owners in 2006 were better prepared for the arrival of ethanol than boat owners on Long Island Sound were in the spring of 2004. That’s not to say that boat owners in other parts of the country haven’t had plenty of problems this year, but there is now a widespread consensus on how best to cope (see “Making the Transition to Ethanol”).

Avoiding Phase Separation
Another, perhaps larger, test will come this winter when boat owners prepare their boats for seasonal lay-up. One of the unfortunate properties of ethanol is its ability to attract and absorb water. Ethanol-enhanced gasoline can absorb roughly 10 times as much water as MTBE and still burn safely through the engine. But if ethanol becomes saturated, which can happen when it sits for long periods, the ethanol separates from the gasoline, forming two separate solutions. This is called phase separation and it’s bad news for the engine. An engine won’t run on the (water-soaked) ethanol solution, which sinks to the bottom of the tank and is highly corrosive.

There is no quick fix. When MTBE becomes saturated with water, it remains chemically bonded to the gasoline—MTBE doesn’t phase separate—and a water separator can eliminate the excess moisture. With ethanol-enhanced gasoline, however, once phase separation occurs, additives and water separators can’t help; the only remedy is to have gasoline/ethanol/water pumped from the tank.

While all of this may sound discouraging to anyone planning to lay up their boat with ethanol in the tanks over the winter, the good news is that E-10 has been a fact of life in certain areas of the Midwest for several years and there have been relatively few problems. Seaworthy talked to several marina operators, surveyors and boat owners in the Chicago area who had the same reaction to ethanol: “It’s no big deal.”

No big deal? How can E-10, which attracts moisture and can fall apart, be expected to survive the winter? With any fuel that will be sitting for a long time, it is important to add stabilizer—an antioxidant—to extend the life of the fuel. (E-10 and gasoline with MTBE have the same shelf-life—roughly a year.) What a stabilizer won’t do, however, is prevent phase separation. Just how you do that is subject to some debate. Several sources, including one prominent engine manufacturer, recommend running the tank down to almost empty and then adding stabilizer. The following spring, the tank can be refilled with fresh gasoline. Lew Gibbs, a senior engineering consultant at Chevron, worries that leaving a few gallons of gasoline might attract enough condensation to cause phase separation. If that were to happen, the highly corrosive ethanol/water mixture would settle to the bottom of the tank and would remain there even after the fresh fuel was added in the spring.

Gibbs said his first choice would be to completely empty the tank when the boat is laid up and then refill it the following spring with fresh gasoline. No ethanol = no ethanol-related problems. Unfortunately, completely emptying a built-in tank safely is nearly impossible. His next choice, one that’s more practical, is to top off the tank to 90% - 95% full (to allow for expansion). A tank that’s almost full reduces the flow of air into and out of the vent, which reduces condensation on tank walls. Any condensation that does form will be absorbed by the gasoline/ethanol. (Note that the National Fire Protection Association [NFPA] also requires tanks to be topped off to minimize explosive vapors.)

Gibbs said the worst choice, which was confirmed by marina owners in the Midwest, is to leave the tank half-full over the winter. Jerry Metzger, the general manager of Chicago Harbor’s nine marinas, said phase separation problems typically occurred when boats had been stored over the winter with tanks that were a quarter to half full. The tanks breathe more and attract larger amounts of moisture. Metzger says boaters in the area have learned to fill the tanks before the boat is laid up for the winter.

Note, however, that phase separation can occur anytime E-10 sits for a long time. On Long Island Sound, which has been using ethanol-enhanced gasoline for the past couple of seasons, Mitch Kramer at TowBoatU.S. Oyster Bay said they haven’t had any problems with their own boats, which are used every day. Kramer says the problems now on Long Island Sound seem to be with boats that are used infrequently. Perhaps because of high fuel prices, some owners don’t use their boats as often and are also less likely to top off their tanks. Half-empty tanks that sit for long periods are more likely to attract moisture, which causes phase separation. The key: Use your boat!

One final note: DON’T try to plug up the vent to prevent moist air from entering the tank. Without room to expand, the additional pressure could rupture fuel system components.

Preventing Phase Separation Do’s and Don'ts

DO

• Add Stabilizer
• Top off the tank (to about 90% - 95% full)
• Use your boat frequently during the season so that gasoline doesn’t
go stale in the tank

DON’T

• Leave the boat’s tanks partially filled for long periods
• Let the boat sit idle for months, even in the summer
• Plug up the tank’s vent to keep moisture out of the tank; it could
rupture system components

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BoatUS : my.BoatUS : Membership : Boat Insurance : Towing Services : Boat Loans : Online Store : Boat Graphics : Classifieds : Site Map : Contact Us

©2008, Boat Owners Association of The United States. All Rights Reserved.

FWIW it is my personal opinion that Boat/US and marinas tell people to treat and store the tanks almost full, because they either SELL or BUY insurance. Remember, a boat with fuel in her is much less of an explosive risk than a boat loaded with fumes in empty tanks.

I, and many, many, of my friends, have had ZERO issues leaving the tanks as empty as possible, albeit treated ... and that's what I do. To me, less marina or regulatory rules, it is the far better option.

Been messing with ethanol for 2 years now.
1st year topped off tank and dosed with Stabil.....boat was up for 3 months and had nothing but problems in the spring....ended up draining half the tank into Jerry cans and burning mixed with fresh hi-test in my truck and motorcycles. Filled the boat back full with hi-test and ran it all thru.
2nd year had about 20 gallons left, had dosed the last 2 tankfulls with Stabil and still had problems. Ended up draining the tank and accumulated water out and starting over....thankfully only 20 gallons.
This year I'm gonna run it as low as I dare and drain the rest....refill with fresh in the spring.

Use Startron, not Stabil.

Stabil is not really designed to deal with ethanol. Startron is.

Stabil does have a new formualtion but I have not researched it yet.

Anyone have experience withthe new Stabil Product??

Last winter I had about 15 gallons left in the tank. Added both Startron and Stabil (belt and suspenders). Put some fresh fuel into it in the spring and not a hiccup. ended up going into storage pretty much the same way last weekend. We will see...

To carry this thread a little farther, please bare with me to tell what happened to me with the new fuels.

The engine that is on my 2520 is a Yammie HPDI Z250, most likely the same as what may be on the back of many of you alls boats. One day it started to cut out momentarily then come back up at about 3600 and eventually settle down if I would ease the throttle up.

When I got back to the dock, I checked and got a lot of dark brown/black gritty gunk when emptying big blue Yammi fuel filter.

yamie_blue_crud_medium_235.jpg

I changed out the big blue filter with a new one, ran the boat, still the same.

At this point I contacted Andy at SIM in Wisconsin for help. WOW! If you do some of the work on your Yammie, you have to check this fellow out. All I can say is he is GREAT! I ordered the Water sensor filter, VST pump filter & o ring gasket, the mid pressure filter and one use clamps. These were due to the fact that the previous owner indicated that service had been done, but the black junk from the big fuel filter made me very suspect! and especially after I open the filter up to inspect the cartridge (I used to work for FRAM filters). This is what I found...

yamie_blue2_medium_174.jpg

The date code on the filter was 7/10/06, which made me suspicious of how long this filter and the rest of the filters had been on the boat, soaking in ethanol fuel!

Now when I mentioned this to Andy, he recommended testing the low pressure fuel pumps, and even told me how to do it! Remove the 2 bolts holding them on the side of the block and squeeze the fuel bulb. Well I had Niagara Falls of fuel coming out of the signal hole on the pumps! Andy sent those quickly as well. BTW I performed the tests outlined in the OEM service manual, the pumps were still junk with porus diaphrams! I truely believe this is due to ethanol fuel deterioration.

2 new pumps, filters and gaskets, she is rocking and rolling back on the high seas again!
So, deterioration of fuel system components due to ethanol fuels makes me supicious of leaving a lot of it in the tank and fuel system to wreak havoc inside the tank and engine. Andy also suggested removing the VST drain screw to make sure no fuel stands on the tank. BTW it is important that the squeeze bulb is pumped BEFORE the ignition key is turned on. The electric pump in the VST will run for 5 sec. when the key is first turned on, and needs to be submerged in liquid to stay cool.

Attachments

• Yamie blue2 (Medium).jpg
    Yamie blue2 (Medium).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 478
  • Yamie blue crud (Medium).jpg
    Yamie blue crud (Medium).jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 478
The Stabil I used last year was the new ethanol blend......still had fuel deterioration problems. I would try other products, but....
Not gonna take chances this year with 100+ gallons of expensive fuel...
Will drain the tank and refill in the spring.

Back