wiring & charging 3 batteries in a 2320

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big tuna

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Parker 2320 with 3 Group 24 batteries. One battery is on the Starboard side and two of them are on the Port side. I have a Perko switch with “1”, “2”, “both” and “off” switch positions.
The current Autozone lead-acid batteries are 4 years old and I have just ordered 3 Cabelas Group 24 AGMs to replace them. I am now looking into installing an onboard charger.
I have not traced all the wires, but I believe the Starboard battery is #1 on the switch and the port batteries are wired in series and are seen as battery #2 on the switch.
Does anyone have this set-up from the factory and can confirm my beliefs are correct?
I’m leaning towards the Guest 2611A dual bank charger. I would plan to connect 1 pair of leads to the Starboard battery and the other positive lead to the positive post of port battery #1 and the negative lead to the negative post of port battery #2. Does this make any sense at all?
Thanks,
Dave

I can’t be sure how your batteries are wired, but I doubt the two port side batteries are in series, as that would give you a 24 volt system. Most likely the starboard battery is your house battery (powering the radio, GPS, etc) and the two port side batteries are connected to the motor with the Perko switch switching between the two of them.

Regardless, I would not wire the charger as you mentioned. I would definitely buy a three bank charger and connect each bank to the positive and negative posts of each battery. The three bank will cost a little more, but it is the correct, and safest, way to wire three batteries.

You may want to look at ProMariner chargers. Not that they’re your only option, but they get great reviews on all of the forums and they do make three bank versions. I recently installed a ProMariner ProSport two bank charger and I’m very happy so far.

Gary

Gary,

Thanks for the reply. The switch only being connected to the port side batteries makes sense since the switch is in the port corner. Last time out I left the switch on position "1" and the starter struggled to turn over a bit. Put the switch on "both" and it fired right up.

I guesss I really need to stick my head in there and see where all the wires are going.

Edit: Swich is connected to starboard & both port batteries. The port batteries are connected in parallel (positive to positive & negative to negative). Both Promariner & Guest said to get a 3-bank charger. Guest recommended a 16153 unit, but it only has 4' cables that won't reach all 3 batteries. Promariner suggested a ProSport 20 plus. I checked and they have extremely poor reviews.

Dave

Do a search on batteries and you should find a lot of info. I would guess you have one engine/charging source. If so one starting battery and one house bank is where I would be looking to start. Two bank charger is fine. Better yet is one of the new two bank chargers that will distribute the charge not just split it. Not sure if you have a seperate battery switch for your house electronics but you should. Throw in a ACR and your done, you should never have to think about your batteries while your fishing again.

I'm want to do the same to mine. But I need to clean my rats nest out from under the helm.. Plus I need to figure out how to get that second battery in there.. Not much room with the raw water pump in there.. Anyone have any pictures of the setup I'm trying to do? Thanks Aaron

My problem turned out to be corroded terminal ends. The fitting that goes through the transom for the washdown hose was leaking. It is directly above the batteries. Great design! I bought 2 new cables and replaced all the other terminal ends with heat shrink terminals & heat shink tubing. Problem solved.

Back