Yamaha F250/2005/ block failure/ 1195 hrs. ? why?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finfish1

Reaction score
Parker/ Yamaha skippers-

2005 Yamaha F250 4 stroke with 1195 hrs.
VST filters changed, oil and filter changed every 50-100 hrs.
Always run about 4500-5000 RPM at 21-22 nkts, most economical speed, 2 mpg/13-14 gph.
Parker 2520xl 2005.
Taken care off, flushed every trip.
But never changed timing belt at 1000 hrs.
Haven't adjusted valves since bought used 2 1/2 seasons ago.
Bought with approx. 560 hrs.
Broke down at Martha's Vineyard last Thursday with hole in block.
Unheard of at those hours, from everyone I speak to, including Yamaha today.
They tell me, they "may" help a little. ($) ?
Purchased new exact power today for 21.5K. OUCH! :evil:
Expected to get at least 2K hrs or more.
Any constructive comments?
:evil:

my friend has a 2002 f225 with 300 hours on it and the oil pump failed and seized the crank shaft solid. All maintenance has been done yearly and showed no sign of anything wrong. Lost rpm at first then stopped and never started again. Waiting on a price for a short block and labor. To bad because the boat is for sale 2002 Palmetto center console open 24 ft.

Ouch ... tell us ... what was your maximum RPMs with the existing prop before she blew? My best guess is that that motor was a good 500-600 or more RPMs off of the max RPMs, which means she was lugging. And less "no oil in the motor" ... over-propping, or lugging, is the fastest way for a motor to die!

So sorry, believe me, to hear of your loss.

But, DO NOT give up ... my 2006 JohnnyRude blew up offshore last year and my insurance company paid off. May be well too late ... but I would have persued an insurance claim with more vigor! They gave me more than 50% towards a brand new Suzi DF250 installed (that was less installed than your new powerhead ...)

dale could you elaborate on the lugging of the engine , rpm. I think you may be on to something. My friend has only owned the boat for a couple of years and it never seemed to go like it should . It would never reach more than 4800 to 5000 rpm on a good day and wouldn't go more than 28 mph. This year I had changed out my prop on my 2520xl with the same motor and had great results on proper rpm [5800 to 5900 rpm all trimmed out ] and picked up a good amount of speed as well. We installed it on his boat this season as well to try to increase the rpm and speed like mine but she never ran long enough to truley test it out. Could all the years of not running the right rpm have taken its toll ? The boat also has a long shaft lower end on it we noticed while rafted up this summer, I don't know how it trimmed out as far as the cavation plate and water line at full speed. { may be it was hanging way to low as well }
Any thoughts would be helpfull.
How do you get the insurance to pay for the motor failure?

snowdevil":2chgyre7 said:
dale could you elaborate on the lugging of the engine ... rpm. I think you may be on to something. It would never reach more than 4800 to 5000 rpm on a good day and wouldn't go more than 28 mph. Could all the years of not running the right rpm have taken its toll?
I'm sure that's it. Sounds like it was a 6,000 RPMmax motor and if it were mine, I would have had it propped to turn no less than 5800 in the Spring, with 1/2 fuel, fresh AF paint, typical gear, and 2 people aboard.

I believe in 200-off so much I had my new Suzi prop 'tweaked' just to bump it up another 100 ...

Now, while TOUGH to do an engine diagnosis thru cyberspace, with what you've told us ... the wrong prop killed that motor.

Could all the years of not running the right rpm have taken its toll ? The boat also has a long shaft lower end on it.
Yes, nevermind the increased drag by the extra-long gearcase. You didn't ask, but whomever rigged that boat should be keel-hauled!

How do you get the insurance to pay for the motor failure?
Simple really, I always insure my boats for an AGREED UPON value (mine are older ...), as I find insurance more readily paying out, specially when the damage is half or less of the agreed upon value. In my case, the carrier paid for an engine diagnosis ... and to tell the truth, I was surprised, but thrilled, that they paid my claim.

Did it have exhaust corrosion? It starts in the mid section and can work it up to the oil pan.
My main shaft oil seal was leaking and in the tear down, found corrosion in the mid section.
I had it repaired but it still burns my biscuits. :evil: The dealer was nice guy and took 20% off the parts and 10% off the labor.
To me, it was poor quality metal used in the castings but I am no expert, just a guy with a checkbook and a good memory and wrote it down Look at Suzuki when re powering.

Thanks for the reply. I will let you know what the final verdict is later this week.
He is calling the insurance company to see what they can do for him as well. I didn't think they covered engine failure but we will see what happens.
Corrosion was not an issue as the tech has it all torn down.

Dale I have a?. I have a 2011- 225yahm I run it mostly at 39-4400rpm 24- 31mph depend on lake cond (Lake Erie) should I run higher rpm? I run with 2 people 3/4 full and 200-300# extra. I have a 9.9 yahm 4s kicker so that adds about 90# to gross wt. I have factory prop 17t black I burn between 10.5-12.75 gph. I am considering add Lenco auto glide system for next season. :?:

WAJSKI":1416njul said:
I have a 2011- 225yahm I run it mostly at 39-4400rpm 24- 31mph depend on lake cond (Lake Erie) should I run higher rpm?
No, that is the SWEET spot where most motors give the best fuel economy ... but all that is predicate on the motor ideally achieving 100-200 off the maximum RPMs at wide open throttle (WOT).

This is BEST confirmed in the Spring when the temps are cool and you have a clean running bottom and a new freash coat of AF paint, if used. In summer weather, it is common for normally aspirated card'd or fuel-injected motors to lose up to 200 RPMs off maximum when the air is hot and thin (same reason why helicopter performance suffers in the heat of Vietnam or the Middle Eastern deserts).

Also make sure the boat has the typical gear always carried, about 1/2 fuel or so, and 2 people aboard, as that is the general or typical load recommended.

My #1 boating pet peeve is that OBs are rigged to wear a too steep or higher-pitched prop and tend to be mounted too deep ... OK, that's 2 things ;) , but you get the picture.

Guys-

My local Yamaha dealer refused to "sign off" on my new 2012 F250 with my existing "after market" 4 blade Mercury prop, and sold me a 3 blade SS yamaha prop, without even asking me.
10-15 % off it was little less than $600.
Basically the same diameter and pitch. ( one inch bigger diameter)
Yamaha spec's call for 5-6K at WOT.
That prop came with the used boat, a hell of a prop, so I though.
My mod v parker, doesn't operate at WOT, never.
It wasn't bought for that, the fuel burn is through the roof, and the boat rides like crap most of the time with a typical 3-4' sea, so I ALWAYS run at 21-22 knts, at the best operating fuel burn, about 4600-4900, but I'm always looking at the fuel management guage, not the tach.
With the old prop, the dealer told me 5200, top end only, and I never really checked it out, shame on me,that probably costs me tens of thousands of dollars, and I know better, but this boat is a different beast, boating all my life with Albemarles, Blackfins, Mako's, etc., you get the picture!
Now my new power, $22K later, with tax and new prop, and tax gets at least two gph better fuel, and I calculated the cost savings, the reduced fuel burn will pay for the prop in about 50-60 hrs, about a month, as I use it.
My insurance policy is very clear about not covering mechnical failures, that took about two minutes, once policy was reviewed by me, although I never called the insurance company?
Thinking back, once in a while the boat would slow in a good sea, not get up to speed for a little while, untill I got on a better plane.
I always thought that was a fuel restriction, but never lasted long.
Yamaha did however give me an extra one year warranty, ironically matching my equity loan of four years total.
A hard lesson, and just when I thought I new "eveyrthing"
Happy boating, oh, and don't get me wrong, I love that boat, a great in shore boat, since off shore is just not happening, and has become so impractical.

Catch em up,
Reel Job
Pt.Judith/Snug Harbor

Back