year 2000 johnson 225 reverse issue

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splen

Reaction score
new to me 2110, 2000 Johnson 225. I Put it in at a lake to get a feel for how it handles. Great top end speed and gets out of the hole great. When I come in to the dock I usually come in fast at an angle then turn the prop toward the dock and gun it in reverse to slide it sideways into the dock. This is not possible with how weak the reverse is. Am I missing something? Please help!

I never come into any dock 'hot'... not even on a lake.
Too many things can go wrong, resulting in a damaged boat and a bad day.

Just looked at it and the lower cable that is shift cable appears to move. So is it possible it's not moving enough and it is only partially engaged?

For reverse, most cupped, raked props or performance props are POOR in reverse so shift in quick & apply a good burst of power. But also trim your OB out & up to get the thrust to go under the hull - not against it.

To diagnose your cable, remove it and ensure the shift linkage works freely and engsges OK. I just think you're not applying enough power ...

kidfreediver":1jt3j3lt said:
I come in hot all the time especially in the wind driving the boat on a trailer with current. Better know the situation.
Agreed! You ought to see how these single diesel Downeasters come into docks, a wide turn outside the dock coming in a fairly steep angle, maybe approaching 45- degrees. Feet off the dock the cut the rudder towards the dock and apply full power ... essentially 'applying the brakes' and bringing the stern tight to.

... and they'll tuck into a spot w/ feet to spare on each end.

Glad you got it sorted out.
And not to pile on, but I was reminded of a trip my wife and I made to Portsmouth NH a few years ago. We were standing on shore at the top of a ramp leading to one of the commercial docks watching a tug headed straight toward the dock at a pretty fast clip. I kept thinking...any second now and he's going to turn the wheel...or slow down...or something. Well not sure what the issue was but none of those happened. BAM! He hit head-on at a pretty fast rate of speed that caused the dock to hit the shore pilings and we felt the impact on the shore. Now that my son is working the gas float at our local marina, I've told him that story a time or two to keep an eye out as boats are approaching...you never know what's about to happen.

Splen":166ct194 said:
I think I have it figured out. I will post after testing. That would be the "reverse issue" not my reckless docking technique that is. :wink:
That was exactly what I was getting at. the issue is "reverse" not a controversy over how to drive a vessel. You can beat that dead horse all day.

Thanks milky and dale. The cable was loose and it was not engaging in reverse every other time so i was just adding throttle in what i thought was reverse while still in neutral. Then moving it up and down until it would engage in reverse. Reset it and works fine now. Came in hot in highwinds yesterday with a storm coming in and just had to bury the throttle in reverse and it did the trick.

Took it out of north inlet in debordieu sc. Went out to ni reef 9 miles out. 3 of the 4 girls got seasick. Took them back to the hill and then went back out to near shore and caught 100 or bsb. Boat was perfect. Last post on this topic. Thanks for the advise.

Hummmmm so your one of those fast dockers. LOL Just kidiing. private dock your choice. Like Kevin and some others here I come in slow to my dock, so slow that sometimes I can cut the engine and float in. Just me, but hate hitting hard.

Back