Anyone have a Garmin 540 or 545 or the ne 5000 series?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOtherLine

Reaction score
Would be interested in hearing from you. Do you like it? Would you buy it again or buy a different model? I am a coastal boater, will not be offshore 30+ miles. My alternative is to buy the new Garmin 5000 series (touch screen), not because I need it or all of it's features, but because it's very easy to use and I like the 10' screen. Yes, there is a big difference in price but that's not an issue.

I just bought and installed a 3210, which is also a 10" but not the touch screen. The 5000 series looks nice. I like garmin. The interface is good. I have used garmin for a long time so maybe I'm just used to it.

I don't have one on my boat, but Jim Maier of BOE Marine has the 5000 series Garmin touchscreen chartplotter on his demo Black Lab, and it is awesome!
Jims system is fully tricked out and includes the big-screen chartplotter, radar, sounder, and XM weather and radio.

Give Jim a call toll free at 866-735-5926 and I'm sure he would be happy to answer any question you might have about any of the Garmin products.

Megabyte":1goghoa8 said:
I don't have one on my boat, but Jim Maier of BOE Marine has the 5000 series Garmin touchscreen chartplotter on his demo Black Lab, and it is awesome!
Jims system is fully tricked out and includes the big-screen chartplotter, radar, sounder, and XM weather and radio.

I just went and played with the 5000. It is so nice! I couldn't figure out how to get the unit to display a route, using the "compass" style routing display that I have on my Lowrance. I am sure it can do it but the "electronics expert" at Boaters World didn't know how either. Still playing with it. Lotta money but sure is nice. They make a 12" and 8" screen, but you also have to buy an $800 black box if you want to get XM radio, which also comes with XM weather.

I have the 545 and am not impressed. The user interface is somewhat...ah... retarded is the only word that comes to mind....particularly when utilizing the xm satellite features....I suppose I would not buy it again.

I really like my "old" 176c and have been considering mounting it out in the cockpit area.

OK. I'm not impressed with the Garmin fishfinders either. Anyone have any opinions on the Raymarine DS 500X?

Deals done. Bought the Garmin 4212 and the Furuno fishfinder from Jim at BOE. Nice guy. Fair price.

Headed for the jigsaw.....

Deals done. Bought the Garmin 4212 and the Furuno fishfinder from Jim at BOE. Nice guy. Fair price.

Headed for the jigsaw.....

You'll be glad you got Furuno. Even if you don't fish, Furuno's commercial quality will add status to your Parker! :wink:

Hope it fits! If you're flushmounting the 4212, it might be tight. Like I said I have the 3210 and the 10" just BARELY fits top to bottom in the 2520 dash. A 12" might or might not fit flush mounted. However I think the 4000 series is a little slimmer around the screen, less bezel area, so it might work OK. Let us know! Here's a pic of my 3210, I think the edge around the screen on the 4000 series is thinner so maybe the larger screen fits a similar size hole.

Attachments

• Copy of parker05.jpg
    Copy of parker05.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 647
Back