EPIRB's ?????

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan 2530

Reaction score
I have sold my previous boat and now I am getting serious about buying some offshore gear for the 2530. My first purchase is going to be an EPIRB. I have not done any research yet and wanted to get opinions from you guys who run out to the edge. What is needed and what is the most cost effective. Eventually I will purchase a liferaft but I think this is the logical first step. If this has been discussed before I apologize. :)

What do you guys think of the personal locators????

FastFindHand.jpg

It's kind of tough to give advice on something I have not yet had to use.

I bought mine on sale ($250 off) at one of the popular marine stores. I later figured out why it was on sale. The battery which is a BIG part of the cost, was already a couple of years old. So, when you decide on an EPIRB, check the date on the battery.

jim

Bryan A.":h2cd6rpl said:
What do you guys think of the personal locators????

I've done a fair amount of research on this and bottome line is that if you're going to be going offshore more than 20 miles, the personal beacon is not the answer. You want a 406 and if you can spring for the extra money, buy the one that has a GPS signaling feature in it.

Jim is right about the batteries. I was shopping for used ones and while they were cheaper, the cost of "re certifieing" (putting a new battery in) an old one costs about $350-$450. So unless you can get a used one for under $200, it doesn't make make much sense.

Of course, if you can buy a used one with 2-3 years left on the battery, for a couple of hundred dollars, then that may suit your needs untill your wife gets your next Christmas list. :lol: [/i]

I bought mine on sale ($250 off)

Which one did you buy????

I've done a fair amount of research on this and bottome line is that if you're going to be going offshore more than 20 miles, the personal beacon is not the answer. You want a 406 and if you can spring for the extra money, buy the one that has a GPS signaling feature in it.

Which model have you found to be best so far?
Maybe we can do a CP group buy or something.

Thanks guys.

I went with the ACR Aquafix 406 Personal EPIRB with internal GPS.

A personal EPIRB is registered to the person, rather than the boat.
That way, when I move boats for other folks, I can take my P-EPIRB with me, and I'm still covered.

It has an internal GPS so it does not have to be attached to an external source.
In my situation, it was the logical choice.

http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store ... t=0&page=1

I just pulled mine out of the electronics bag. I bought it in 1999 for $1000. Don't know what model or brand it is. It has been "around the block" a few times. It is yellow and about the size of an oversized coffee mug with an antenna sticking out the top about 8 inches.

They are only supposed to last about 5 years or so. Mine still tests good, so she's still a keeper. I do like that the prices have come down.

FYI: Ever wonder what happens if you accidentally turn on your EPIRB? I swear it wasn't me (Gary)----but my fishing buddy turned his on by accident. The next day, the Civil Air Patrol showed up at his front door and politely asked him to turn it off (so much for that battery). It seems that because the signal was constantly moving over the water, the CG was not too concerned, once the signal moved over land, it became the jurisdiction of the CAP.

jim

from what I understand is that epirbs can also be rented. not exactly sure what the drill is....
just another option rather than kicking down at the mid to tail end of the northeast boating season. I will definitely be buying one for next year. In the meantime I let somebody know what my float plan is. Even if it is 4 miles offshore.

Several years ago, my town's local police department was notified about an epirb activation. They located the source coming from a parked car up at the local pizza parlor. The epirb was registered and the owner doesn't like to leave it on his boat for theft reasons. So he literaly threw it in the trunk of his car and headed home. Somehow the epirb became activated and yada yada yada. I live 75 miles from the ocean so I don't think the Coast Guard was overally concerned.

i bought that very same one off e-bay for 701.00.new not used it was from a dealer in south fla.tropic marine i think is who it was

Back