Freeboard on 2520's

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBM

Reaction score
Hi all,

What is the height (deck to top of gunale) on most of the 25's. It just seems to be very short. What is the advantage or reason Parker does this. This won't deter me from buying one, just curious.

Thanks
Mark

The cockpit depth varies with the choice of hull. The depth is 24.5" on 2520 XL. The depth is 25.5" on 2520 XLD Sport Cabin.

What is the height (deck to top of gunale) on most of the 25's. It just seems to be very short. What is the advantage or reason Parker does this. This won't deter me from buying one, just curious.

Mark, In my case, I like the ability to reach over and lip my fish comfortably (rockfish in the Chessie), so I'm a fan of the Parker freeboard. 8)

It has never ever been a problem for me, or for my grandchildren. :wink:

Image-978654B8129611DA.jpg

Edit... For those not familiar, that isn't a rock. That would be a chubby white perch. :D

Hi Mark,

Welcome to our ClassicParkerBuffet. All-you-can-eat Parker Boats Info. 24 hours a day!

A Free Buffet! What could be better?

I think you have touched on one of the features that makes Parker a most popular design among Watermen, Sportsmen and law-enforcement.

That is the ability to comfortably "work" the water with less effort than would be required in a vessel with higher freeboard. When you have a job or passion that requires frequent interaction with the water surface, the closer you are, the less effort is required. Whether you are hauling crab pots, landing one of Kevin's Massive Rockfish, or tying off a navigation hazard, being a safe but comfortable distance off the water is important. Parkers have a design that is most favorable for those that need to "communicate" with the water. :D

I usually have a boat full of Divers on my 2520MV. We all very much appreciate not catching too much “air” when we roll over the gunwale into the water, and the ease with which equipment and catch can be passed back up to the topside crew. 8)

It's also a lot easier to haul a soggy pup back aboard when you’re only a couple of feet off the water. :roll: :roll:

freeboard.jpg

..John

If you are buying new they gave you cockpit depth.

Older ones with I/O's have deeper cockpits, by the way.

Dana

:) Thank you all! When I am ready to purchase it will be the MVSC as stability is a main concern this time.

Mark

For the many reasons stated above, I think there are indeed benefits to the height of the Parker gunnel/washboards.

Admittedly though, some might also see a disadvantage or weakness. Because I fish offshore some, I added toe rails.

toe_rails_small_121.jpg

To me, a great aspect of the Parker gunnel is that the floow goes full-width beyond and under the washboards and gunnels so that one can 'step into' the rail for stability.

The best feature of a Parker boat, and this issue in particular, is how readily and easily customizable they are to the owner! You can't say that about too many brands.

Back