Gunnel/hull wall caulk - What's behind here?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquinnah

Reaction score
I've noticed that the caulk along the horizontal joint has completely separated from one side. Water can get behind it. I plan on recaulking the seam but would like to know what is behind there and if any damage can be done in the meanwhile.

Attachments

• August2007 053 (Medium).jpg
    August2007 053 (Medium).jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 903
  • August2007 051 (Medium).jpg
    August2007 051 (Medium).jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 902
The raised lip at the bottom of the PH door jam extends from gunnel to gunnel. This creates a small tray behind the area where the caulk is coming off the edges of that small piece of starboard. The starboard pieces (port/stbd) on 2320 has holes for rod ends to extend through. With the edges caulked, water sits in those small trays with no way to drain.

I removed the caulk all together. There are already holes so the caulk really seals nothing. Now water can easily drain from the trays to the cockpit and out the scuppers. The caulk is purely for aesthetic purposes and nothing is harmed by removing it---at least on the 2320. Your boat is probably the same design. Check it out.

jim

Thanks Jim. Your point is noted and I will look into doing that as well. I meant, however, to say the VERTICAL seam has separated. I suspect that the deck is solid underneath even if partially obscured but still am curious what lies in that space.

I was able to see into there on my2530 from inside the cabin behind the dinette. It's a failry large wasted space with a few wires in it. I was thinking about making it storage for a spare anchor rode for anchoring/tying up by the stern at the beach. Have to look into it a little more though.

BTW my caulking has separated there too.

I keep a tow rope (some old 5/8 anchor line) in that space. Every once in a while I will give someone a tow. Or maybe some day I will be the one getting tow from that rope. Who knows, but it is nice to know that it is there.

jim

That space is a great place for a shorepower plug if you install one. Out of the way and the weather. I installed mine there on my 28' by removing the board,cutting a hole in it for the plug and then running the wires under the gunnel to the battery compartment where my charger is located.

That space is a great place for a shorepower plug if you install one. Out of the way and the weather. I installed mine there on my 28' by removing the board,cutting a hole in it for the plug and then running the wires under the gunnel to the battery compartment where my charger is located.

Got any pics of that install??? That is exactly what I was planning on my starboard side. Winter project of course.

Back