MAY DAY! I'm about to buy a Parker- please advise!!!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88keys

Reaction score
Okay, I'm gonna lay it all out on the line here and I'm hoping you guys can help steer me straight- tomorrow I'm scheduled to buy a 1993 25' DV
walk-around. here is what I know- 5.7 Volvo duo prop, 950 hrs., hard top, DV (21 degrees) , elec. include radar, 2 yr old furono sounder, VHF,
Garmin GPS 182, spotlight, bose stereo sys.,
I have seen the boat and sea trialed it w/ captain. She appears to be very clean, and captain sounds as though he has kept up maintenence very well.
engine runs very smooth in 1-2ft. seas she maxed out at 30kts. and cruised real nice at 20kts.
If I buy this boat it will be my 3rd boat. 1st was a 21' wellcraft cc, 2nd was/is a 25' wellcraft coastal.
My reaction to this ride was WOW, this wide beam is SOO much more stable than my Wellcraft and I was surprised to look down at the gps and see that we were going 30kts when it 'felt" like we were going 18kts in my WC.
anyway, my gut tells me this is the boat. Even with the 950hrs., I feel like this boat will be worth repowering when the time comes. (but when will the time come???)
Asking price is $17k
Is this a no-brainer??

If she is as clean and cared for as you indicate, I believe she is a no-brainer.
950 hours on a Volvo Penta is nothing... and a 20kt cruise is ideal.

Replacement long blocks are something like $3600, which is a lot cheaper than a new 250 hp 4-stroke outboard these days. :shock:

Thanks for the reply. I bought it, have been out in the bay (Boston harbor) these past two days. Can't wait to get back out chasing tuna.
Maybe I just haven't been in any quality 25' boats but this ride amazes me.
BTW, it is a single engine Vovlo 5.7 with dou prop. Is this set up unusual?

Unusual, in that Parker only makes outboard powered craft these days, and no longer manufacturers inboards or I/O powered vessels.

Not unusual, in that you bought a great riding vessel and joined the Parker brotherhood. I'd say you did pretty well. 8)

I have a '96 2530 with a 5.7 liter Volvo Duoprop.

Price is good, I would say.

I just turned 900 hours.

Cared for right, it will keep going much longer.

Change the oil correctly, keep the cooling system in shape, keep up on the zincs, and the usual to keep it going. Check the belts.

My usual replacement parts are the distributor cap and rotor, the plugs, the fuel filter, oil and filter, and clean the flame arrestor every once in awhile.

Check the fuel vent screen for corrosion from salt water, and replace about every two years.

Dana

Back