transducer holes-gelcoat/mekp and liquid wax?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. John Deering

Reaction score
need to fill transom holes. local dealer is closed, you guys know if parker makes a small gelcoat repair kit with all the necessary ingredients?

here is my plan don't want water in transom.

1.clean out old holes (with drill) , use countersink drill on hole entrance. use syringe with acetone to clean out hole. air hose dry.

2. mix "wet" mix of raka epoxy, apply with artist brush in the cleaned out holes. let dry.

3. i could mix up thicker batch of raka with cabasol (sp?) and put that in the hole

AND/OR

4. mix up some parker gelcoat (don't need much, what is formula gelcoat plus mekp?) tape over with wax paper, let dry. should be minimal sanding.

Is this the correct procedure/s?

I'd do Option #1, but ...

Would use a thin(ner) 2-part epoxy first to saturate the core. If I can find a suitable small container to send via the mail, I could send you 3-ounces total. Then don't wait for this to cure, but add thickened Raka epoxy via a syringe when the thin stuff kicks.

I can send you a syringe for each too. I just ran out of Raka epoxy myself and ordered a 1-gallon kit, so if you can wait ... I could send you a few ounces of that too. Let me know ... that will give me time to find epoxy-proof small containers too.

Dale, thanks i have the starter kit from raka, learned about it here. i talked to larry or whoever is chief down there. he suggested mixing up a "wet" mixture of epoxy and hardener, he called that a wet mix to be applied with an artist brush.

after that dried he then suggested mixing up some more epoxy and adding a thickener (silica or cabosol (sp). he also said it will not shrink much, so my other suggestion of adding some parker gelcoat may not be such a great idea. what do you think? i guess what you are saying, put the thicker mixture in the holes before the wet application sets up?

i had a quart of gelcoat, it was 7 years old and hard as a rock. do you know if parker dealers sell a small gelcoat repair kit? like to have some anyway.

you do use MEKP as the hardener? correct?

Just out of curiosity, other than appearance, would not filling in the holes with 5200 not seal it up sufficiently?

Parker dealers have parker gel coat. Sometimes they will just give it to you.

You can thicken that up with Cabosil and apply it like a putty. Sand, wet sand and buff it works great.

Back