Trolling/Helm ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mx beach guy

Reaction score
Do you guys leave the helm area to go back
an check you lines while the vessels underway

Sure! I would do so even when I didn't have the 2nd station installed.

Thanks Dale for the reply.I guess The reason I was thinking about
this is after reading about the terrible tradgety of Mr bill loosing a
a passenger on his boat heres what happened to me not long ago.
Was trolling out in the gulf in 2-3s w/wind maybe 10-15 mph I get up from the wheel an go to back to check on the trolling rods when
I turn around to head in the pilot door all of sudden the motor turns
sideways as far as it could go an as I started to fall I luckly grab the
pilot house door an now the boat starts going in circles an it seems
like hell to get to the wheel well I did an was somewhat shookup.And
now I very leery of going to the stern now unless Im out of gear.I have
hydraulic steering an it shoudnt have done it maybe it was a big wave
just happen so fast.

I troll from the 'pit on many occasions because I can see the plotter and sounder easilly from my perch on the washboard.
The comfy chair... is for the Admiral. :)

Image-C091835C0FE011DC.jpg

Image-0B01A6D659B911DC.jpg

Megabyte":2rexi0c6 said:
I troll from the 'pit on many occasions because I can see the plotter and sounder easilly from my perch on the washboard.
The comfy chair... is for the Admiral. :)

Image-C091835C0FE011DC.jpg

Image-0B01A6D659B911DC.jpg

cool setup!!!!

Ditto on the auto pilot advice. I don't troll but some of the guys I fish with do, and they love their auto pilots.

jim

I can tend rods, run helm, and see GPS and depthfinder all at the same time. :D :p

mx beach guy":3h6jhuzq said:
I turn around to head in the pilot door all of sudden the motor turns sideways as far as it could go an as I started to fall I luckly grab the pilot house door an now the boat starts going in circles an it seems like hell to get to the wheel well I did an was somewhat shookup.

Well now, that throws a kink into my thinking doesn't it! You see, my initial and all-too-brief response was based on a few assumptions:

1) My motor tracks well and cannot (or should not) turn from the stern REGARDLESS of wave action imparted to the motor. You should check your helm as it sounds like a check valve stayed open and allowed the sea state to move the motor. That should NOT happen.

2) I do a visual once-around the boat before heading to the stern

Glad you didn't fall or worse ...

I have a second station and troll from the pit all the time.
never have had the engine change by itself on any boat (had a few). better check the hydraulic system.
Have had wind and side waves steer me around in circles many times when changing lines or fightin fish.
I'm still teaching the dog to steer.

I'm a major advocate for autopilot. Great for one guy trolling in open water - go back and tend the lines and the boat goes in a straight line. But a lot of the fishing I do is around the ends of the islands at the Chesbay bridge tunnel with pilings on either side, crazy current. I've done it, but it's stressfull.. Jumping in and out of the pilothouse is good excercise, but risky.

Mark... Some of the newer GPS systems let you set multiple waypoints and have the AP follow the 'track' you've set. No more trolling in a straight line. :)

Very cool...

Definitely sounds like a stuck check valve. Hydraulic steering system should not allow that to happen...EVER! I personally use my autopilot if i am heading back or a qualified mate :lol:

Back