Winter storage question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapeCodFrank

Reaction score
I have a new 2007 2510 XLD. This will be the first winter storage for her and I am torn between two storage options. I could store her at the dealer from whom I bought her. Since the dealer is a Parker / Yamaha dealer, no question about their service and compliance with the terms of the warranties. However, the dealer is about 2 hrs away by sea. My other choice is the boat yard when she is moored. Much more convenient, but they are neither a Parker nor Yamaha dealer. There are lots of other Yamahas stored here, and I believe they will do a good job, but I am concerned that if I do have any trouble down the road, Yamaha could point to the service record. What would you do?

My boatyard will block and store my boat for the winter, and I did do that my first year, but I don't anymore.

My dealer is a little over an hour south of me by water, but that is where I take my boat now.
For me, the service is what takes me there. I can have the boat hauled, the hull power washed, and the motor serviced for the winter without worry.

In the spring, my boat is serviced, the motor work done, and dropped in the water for me to take back to my slip.

Service is the reason I decided to winter at my dealer. So far, I like the arrangement. :wink:

What service does your motor require? I try to do everything I can. That way I know it's done right. Just because your dealer sells and services engines, doesn't mean they'll actually "care" for yours....

Very true, but it is difficult to learn how to provide correct winterization of tha boat. I have never fogged an engine, changed the oil, or whatever needs to be done to insure that the boat survives the winter and that any problems down the road won't cause Parker and/or Yamaha to point to something that was omitted or done wrong. The boat is too big of an investment to risk. Having the work done by the dealer or another authorized service center at least gives me the sense that the liability for any screw-up could fall on someone else. I would like to take over more of the maintenance but don't want to risk doing it wrong.

I think the answer has more to do with an individuals comfort level doing basic maintenance than warranty issues.
As far as I know if you have reciepts and have documented work performed then the warranty should not be a problem. Yamaha in particular has been known to honor claims as long as work performed was documented.
As for comfort level...that varies with individuals.
I personally have no problem fogging engine, changing oil and filter, gapping new plugs, changing lower unit gear oil, and replacing impeller if needed.
Drain any fluids from boat systems, power wash and cover. Done.
Others may have less time, experience or willingness to do their own work and prefer the dealer route...that's fine too.

Thanks for the comments. I, too, would like to get to the point of doing routine maintenance myself. I am a homeowner, woodworker, and general DIY guy, but have no experience working with cars or marine engines. Two questions: how did you learn what to to and how to do it? And how do you go about documenting the work you do to prove to the manufacturer that the work was done in a workmanlike manner and as specified by the manufacturer? Oh, BTW, I also practiced law for awhile. In a warrantee claim, that would b the first thing would attack.

I never did engine maintenance until I did it the first time! If you haul your boat at the dealer, ask if you can be there when they winterize your engine so you can learn how to do it yourself. I'm sure they will comply with your request. There's nothing like a good service manual to guide one along. Got some spare time over the winter? Take an Outboard Engine Maintenance Course at your local Vocational School. Might just come in handy one day.

Back