WOOD ROT

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOOPHOLE

Reaction score
I'm new to the Classic Parker board and I'm considering a new one. I just have a question.

I had to replace a bulkhead on my 30 ft Sport Fish(NonParker boat).
That had to be the nastiest project/job I ever performed. I swore to myself that I'd not purchase another boat with wood in it.

When I was at the Parker dealer, there was a cutout of the boat from the gunnel to the hull just past the water line and the short piece of the deck of the cockpit. The bottom of the hull was about 1/2" thick which made me feel pretty good about the boat. I looked at the area that connected the cockpit deck to the hull and I became a little concerned about water intrusion. The Cockpit cutout had about a 1/4" to 3/8" of glass under the cockpit's plywood. The Top layer, on the other hand was about 1/8" or less. I'm refering to the floor of the cockpit. I'm wondering if this was a representative sample of the boat or just a poor choice of the company's product.

Some of my buddies are not exactly Mensa candidates, so a dropped 6/0 rod/reel dropped with the fastener ring faced down looked like it could do some damage to the top glass in the cockpit. I've worked a little with glass and I know it's strong but the top layer looks thin

I did see some posts regarding cracked glass on decks and I wonder if the factory thickened up the glass on top of the cockpit plywood.

I'm new to the board and I'm considering the Parker boat, despite my experience with the wood rot on the non-Parker, because of the fierce loyalty I see from the owners of Parker boats. They've got to be doing something right to earn that kind of loyalty.

I just don't understand why wood is better than some of the other materials out there that just won't rot ever. The dealer did mention that Parker was in good company with other high end boats still using wood, but that bulkhead job is still fresh in my mind... and I did it a year and a half ago. Can someone answer why Parker still uses wood from a structural standpoint? Why is wood better?

well...believe it or not...marine grade plywood is the strongest core material availible...composites are nice,however,they're suspect to delamination as well as wood...
a problem with wood is how it's laminated,when wood is laminated with a polyester based resin,the bond isn't very strong...due to the fact the polyester resin will NOT absorb into the wood as well as epoxy...a wood core that's ben laminated with epoxy basede products is a much more durable bond...

I wasn't even thinking about laminates. I understand your point regarding laminates but what I was curious about was the materials that contain no wood used in boat construction. In the boat shopping process I've seen more than a few stickers on transoms that stated that the boats were 100% wood free construction. I presumed that included laminates.

I'm trying to make an informed decision on which boat to buy so I'm not a dealer trying to bash a boat or anything so don't take it that way.

How do the Parker plywood products compare to the components that are 100% synthetic. Is the wood more rigid, easier to work with, flex the right amount. The previous respondent mentioned laminates and I may be wrong in the assumtion that the other boats I've looked at did not include them. Hydra Sport, Wellcraft, Sailfish, Cobia, Century, Polar, and Scout were the boats I've looked at.

Honestly I'm tired of looking!

I know there are high tech materials out there and I'm realistic enough to understand that cost is a factor in producing a boat in Parker's price range. This boat is likely to be the last boat I ever buy and as the Mrs. puts it, I keep things for EVER.

I've pretty much narrowed the choice down to 3 boats and Parker makes two of them. I'm just looking for the answer to this question from the tech side to satisfy the analytical part of my brain. This is big purchase and I'm not made of $... No tree in the back growing the stuff. Any help with this question would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance if you take the time to respond.

Thanks Fish

Found the info I was looking for under FAQ's Couldn't find a section called facts. Is that what you were refering to?

M

He does mean the FAQ. Parker states their reasoning behind using wood. I think they know what they're talking about. You can never go wrong with a Parker. :wink:

Back