Yamaha fuel management system problem

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pparke

Reaction score
Just installed a new Yamaha fuel management sysytem on my 2510 with a single 225. I went with the yamaha system because it matched the other guages and I firured it would be easier to install and interface, but Im having some issues and could use some help. I hooked all the wires comming from the fuel management guage to the existing wire harness that had the tach and speed guages. That was simple. Next I installed the sending unit after the fuel filter, no problem. The following are my problems

1. I am not getting a MPG reading on the guage. Only GPH. Just below that info is the MPG and all it has is a - symbol. I checked the pin settings for the unit and they are set for the speed guage. I also get total fuel burned on one screen and sync on the last screen. The speed guage that was already on the boat is working fine and displays the correct speed. ?

2. The sending unit has failed twice. I take it off blow through it put it back on and it works ok.

3. Have there been any major issues with this system and does anybody have any idea whats going on? :(

There is a place called Ship Island Marine, a guy there name Andy, call him and ask him, he hooked me up on my last boat with the same set you are having trouble with, I kind of remember having the same problem after the install, may be really simple, but he knows his stuff and can probably help you, do not know the number, but they are on the internet !

I ended up taking the sending unit apart and found debris that was very small. I cleaned it up and put it back together and it works fine. I ran the boat to Norfolk and was amaized at the difference in mpg due to sea conditions. The best I could get was 2.4 mpg at 4800 rpm. The worst was around 1.2 at 3800 rpm due to rough water. What I learned was that you get better mpg when at 4800 than at 4200-4500 which is where i had been running it. The other nice thing is the guage keeps track of actual gallons used. The old fuel guage really reads off quite a bit.

pparke":33rgz2zp said:
What I learned was that you get better mpg when at 4800 than at 4200-4500 which is where i had been running it.

I have read somewhere that an engine operated at 75% throttle versus operation at 100% throttle uses approximately 50% less fuel. So, if your WOT is 6000, then 4500 should be your sweet spot.

I have found your assessment to be accurate in my case as well. I seem to get better fuel economy running at 4700-4800 than 4500.

Back